temp gauge reading 250+ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny temp gauge reading 250+

installed my 3 gauge combo, only one issue is that the temp gauge climbs right to 250+, don't understand, it can't be that hot cuz the normal ford light would come on right? and its always in the middle anyway, i installed it where they said to, the inspection port or whatever, up from the 2 trany pan bold....any suggestions on whats really going on or do i have messed up gauge....they are the phantoms from raul
thanks for any help

Last edited by tootall; 04-16-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Engine temperature is not the only parameter that the PCM monitors to determine cooling fan operation. This is the reason that you will see some variation in engine temperature as it correlates to fan operation. The operation/description of the FSS (Fan Speed Sensor) from the PC/ED manual has a fairly good explanation as to how the system "thinks". This is not your traditional engine hits temp X and the fan clutch locks up. The fan speed sensor is a Hall-Effect sensor integral to the vistronic drive fan (VDF). The powertrain control module (PCM) will monitor the sensor input and control the VDF speed based upon engine coolant temperature (ECT), transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and intake air temperature (IAT) requirements. When an increase in fan speed for vehicle cooling is requested, the PCM will monitor the FSS signal and output the required pulse width modulated (PWM) signal to a fluid port valve within the VDF.

250 seems too hot (if it is real). Your engine begins to defuel at 227 deg. The thermostat begins to open at about 190*F to 195*F and is not fully open until about 215*F to 219*F.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:38 PM

thats all good info =) but its my tranny temp that says 250+ my bad i just edited the title, assumed everyone knew i got the 3gauge combo from raul, pyro,trans temp, n boost
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As for the "Factory" transmission temp gauge, it is a glorified "idiot" light as its response is severely dampened. The panel gage will show the temp as fully warmed up at 50 *F. Between 100-220F the needle will remain in the same position on the gauge. At 230F it will move up slightly to the middle of the normal range. At 250F it will move to Yellow. The gage moves to red at 280. This is supported on page 36 of the OBDII Theory and Operations manual. The tow/haul light will flash at 275.

Over 220 is probably too hot for continuous service. Never exceed 250 for more than 30 minutes.

When you see 250 *F on your gage, then some parts may be seeing close to 300*F. Modern day tranny fluid is good for around 300*F, but don't push it.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
check your grounds....

does it steadily climb to 250 after a while of driving or shoots right up to it?

if it steadily climbs to it from "0" then it could be right....

-Raul
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 PM

it climbs from 0, however idiot light never moves from the middle, and trany fluid looks bright red, doesn't feel/smell burnt i will add gound to the gauge even though i thought it was supposed to be grounded from the sending unit and see if it changes anything
Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
it climbs from 0, however idiot light never moves from the middle, and trany fluid looks bright red, doesn't feel/smell burnt i will add gound to the gauge even though i thought it was supposed to be grounded from the sending unit and see if it changes anything
it should be grounding from the sending unit.. did you use any kind of teflon tape that would make it so that it is not grounded correctly to the pan?

dont go by the stock trans temp gauge.. its a dummy light... you could easily be seeing those temps... is your stock cooler working? maybe the bypass line is not working correctly....
Old 04-16-2009, 04:31 PM

appears the ground was the issue, reading 120 right now undo the ground and it jumps back to 250 (its already warmed up) no teflon tape or anything odd...glad it reading correctly now. thanks for the suggestion, i would have just figured it was a bad gauge cuz i thought it would ground itself through the sending unit. at any rate, thanks for the help again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.