Diff and Transfer case fluids - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diff and Transfer case fluids

I'm gonna have my truck on a lift this weekend to change the shocks, so I want to go ahead and change the fluid in both diffs and the transfer case.

The book shows a bunch of different weights for the different axles. Can anyone tell me what I need for an 06 F-250 4x4 with 3.73 gears or at least tell me how to figure out what axle types I have? How much will it actually take in each axle and the xfer case? I know the book shows capacities, but often it actually takes less than the spec in my experience with other vehicles. Do I need any kind of special additives in the rear end since it's limited slip?

I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up since this is the first change I've done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to 67ModStang Send a message via Yahoo to 67ModStang
Your front should be the dana 60 and uses 75w-90 @5.9 pints. Rear should be the ford 10.5" using 75w-140 @ 7 pints plus the ford xl-3 friction modifier. Tranfer case just uses ATF @ 4 pints.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 AM

My manual states 5.8 pints of 80W-90 gear oil for the F250/F350 Dana 60 front differential. Use a synthetic.

FYI - The differential fluids are considered "Good for Life" fluids by Ford (unless submerged or other problems detected).

For the Transfer Case, the manual states that the fill is only 2 quarts (4 pints as 67ModStang stated), but mine took 3 quarts to get to the top fill bolt - maybe I overfilled it??? (didn't think it was possible due to the simple design). Any good synthetic oil with the Mercon V rating would be good.

Rear Axle:
F250/F350 10.5 Axle - 6.9 pints of 75W-140 Synthetic (For the OP - This is what you have)
F350 Dana 80 Axle - 8.5 pints of 75W-90 Synthetic
F450/F550 Dana S110/S130 Axle - 14.0 pints of 75W-140 Synthetic

The manual also states to use 8 oz of the friction modifier in the limited slip differentials, but I have read where many folks add a little less than that - they feel it performs better w/ no apparent reliability issues. Maybe others will comment.

Also - some oils for the differential come w/ the friction modifier already added.

Last edited by bismic; 04-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 PM

Mine has never been in water, so do I not need to change the diff fluids? I read a thread here somewhere that said you were supposed to change it at 60k. If I don't have to spend the money, I'd rather not.

Does the transfer case use Mercon SP or just standard fluid?
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to 67ModStang Send a message via Yahoo to 67ModStang
The owners manual does state that there is not a service interval on the Ford rear axles which explains why it calls for 75w-140 unlike the Dana80 using 75W-90. IMO I would change it out anyway. Mercon SP is not necessary for the xfer case. I do recall it taking more than 2 qts to get to the fill plug on mine like Bismic stated. Just get an extra qt of everything to make sure you have enough.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Does the transfer case use Mercon SP or just standard fluid?
When I changed the fluid in my transfer case I used regular Mercon ATF. Its hard to just pour the fluid in there though so you will need a funnel or a fluid extractor tool.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Is the friction modifier required in the rear end if a good synthetic 75w-140 is used, such as Mobile 1 75w-140 syn?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Yep its required unless the fluid already has it in it.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM

when changing the t case fluid i was told to jack up the front of the truck so more fluid drains. when u fill it do you lower the truck or leave it like how u drained it??
Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM

I had the rear lower than the front (good idea)....Used Mobil1 ATF Syn 2.2qt, same stuff I used in my PowerSteering flush. Mobil1 75w-140 LS Syn in the rear diff and Mobil1 75w-90 LS Syn in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.