Made it into the single digits... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Made it into the single digits...

Well guys today was the first time my truck has ever seen single digit MPG. 7 to be exact! It was also the hardest the truck had worked in its life. Coming home from Oklahoma today with a 40MPH head wind through the flint hills pulling a 28 foot brick of an enclosed trailer loaded to the gills is not good on the wallet tried to maintain 65, there was a period where I had to stay in 4th for a solid 30 minutes at around 2600 RPM. I thought she was going to blow but she held together!

Anyways I'm just excited....

What's the worst you guys have ever gotten?

BTW I usually get around 10.5 on the same route with that trailer, 11.5 on flat ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

According to my lieometer pulling over the grapevine in so cal. I hit 4.2mpg, I would say I average about 9.5mpg. I try to not pay attention, my best is 11.6mpg, I dont tow any faster than 62mph as my mileage will really drop.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got about 7 mpg a few years ago when the truck was stock trying to pull a very heavy toyhauler through very strong headwinds and up hill most of the way. I was ready to take the truck back that day, I was so frustrated. The funny part is that it was my friend's toyhauler and he was so impressed by the power that he went out two weeks later and bought a 6L Excursion to replace his suburban. Here I was completely frustrated and disgusted with my truck and he was floored because he thought it was amazing. It's amazing how people see things differently!

I normally get 11 mpg towing my 30' enclosed trailer at about 70-75 mph.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Coming back to Dallas last week from McAllen I hit a head wind that was so strong that the truck dropped to 3rd gear and would only run about 58 MPH for about 4 or 5 miles.
My truck likes to pull the fifth wheel at 67 to 72. When there is no wind and no hills it's hard to keep it below 70 mph. So I know what you mean about 70 to 75 with your truck and trailer. Most of the time I get 9.5 to 10.3 pulling.
Doug
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well i had about a trip to pick up a motorcycle this weekend i normally get around 18ish i when i drive its all highway with my 38(back and forth to college live on campus otherwise i walk everywhere)i live 4 miles from the highway and then my apt is 3 from the highway. but anyways that trip with a head wind one way and down poor both ways i used 40 gallons of fuel for 386 miles. that trip and was mostly interstate with minimal stop lights and 2 for fuel and good. anyway sorry ryan expect to pay some clams for that trip! even at stock height stock tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.