Degas Bottle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Degas Bottle?

I just bought this truck maybe a month ago and ive read that 03-04 are notorious for blowing head gaskets. I have topped off my coolant maybe two times. Its not puking out the cap or anything and it doesnt over heat and its not empty. The truck has 74k on it. Anyone got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When are you topping it of? It will only show its full or normal when the engine is cold
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM

We had a couple of 6.0L at work that would loose coolant all the time and we couldnt figure out where it was going.
We took them into Ford and they told us that the head bolts were stretched and everytime it boosted up the heads would actually lift off the motor and the coolant would leak out that way.

I dont have any idea if this is true or not but thats what we were told by Ford.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
Mine was the oil cooler it was plugged and not allowing coolant to pass. I knoticed no gauge +ver heating but could hear the cluth fan engauging like it was hot or if maybe it was a 90* day. It was 60-70 out side... They drove it and I guess datalogged it found out the engine oil temp was a lot higher than the coolant temp replaced the oil cooler and I haven't had a lost coolant issue in almost 8 months been running tunes and still no issues. I would look at the oil cooler and keep it topped off on coolant. Also untill I explained eactly what it was doing they were just cleaning the egr which did nothing
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
We had a couple of 6.0L at work that would loose coolant all the time and we couldnt figure out where it was going.
We took them into Ford and they told us that the head bolts were stretched and everytime it boosted up the heads would actually lift off the motor and the coolant would leak out that way.

I dont have any idea if this is true or not but thats what we were told by Ford.
I'm callin

Last edited by Clay Henry; 04-01-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:07 PM

I checked the coolant before I started my truck this morning. It was a little low. I wanna do head gaskets and studs but thats probably gonna cost a pretty penny.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
I'm callin
Why is that.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Your EGR cooler is probably in the early stage's of breaking. Do you smell coolant in the cab when the fan clutch turns on? If yes, then your EGR cooler is probably busted.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Henry View Post
I'm callin
Actually, Clay, that is a problem with these engines. International uses Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts on the heads, and they are known to stretch, when running hot, which could cause this problem. Is that his problem? Who's to say, until a mech looks at it, but it is one of several valid solutions to his problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post

im calling BS to clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokin' 6.0 View Post
Actually, Clay, that is a problem with these engines. International uses Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts on the heads, and they are known to stretch, when running hot, which could cause this problem. Is that his problem? Who's to say, until a mech looks at it, but it is one of several valid solutions to his problem.
yes the headbolts stretch but coolant on a 6.0 engine does and will not go into the cylinder , compression is higher than coolant pressure will ony push compression gases into cooling system therefore higher coolant presures and puking , think about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.