transfer cases - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transfer cases

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and I was wondering what my options were on transfer cases for an 07' 6.0. My daily driver has the electronic shift on the fly which I DO NOT like, and would much rather have the manual shift transfer case I believe it is the NV 271 if I remember correctly. My question is...

Is there a way to simply replace the electronic shifting component on the transfer case of the 273 with a manual shifting lever?

If that's not possible can I take the internals from my 273 and put it into a 271 that way I will have a reliable transfer case that I know is in good shape?

Just trying to find some options. Its not a big deal but if an option were to present itself I would definately consider swapping it out just for peace of mind.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I thought our trucks had a borgwarner tcase in them....
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 92-97 trucks do have the borgwarner cases but the new trucks have either a new venture or new process I can't remember which. Does anyone have any ideas for switching over transfer cases either components or the entire unit from elctronic shift on the fly to manual shift?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM

I at one pint in time put combined a np207, and np231 and the back half of a np231 most of the parts between the 207 and 231 were pretty much the same. This was a jeep and a nissan transfercase though got them out of a junkyard for a cherokee. Point being if you had them both torn apart they probably have similar parts. One will definately have a different shift mechinism (sp?) Why is it that you are so worried about the tcase? They seem as a whole to be solid behind 500+hp 4wheel launches which is pretty rough on them.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Like I said I'm not worried about the transfer case, it is just a project for the future b/c I would much rather have a manual shifting transfer case than the electronic shift on the fly. Its just a personal preference. So I was wondering what my options were...
Old 04-01-2009, 09:09 AM

I agree to that manual hubs and tcase is the best. I had a few chevys and the lack of hubs sucked. I do like the electronic hubs but honestly I have never been somewhere and suddenly needed 4wd with out knowing in advance. I still manually lock my esof hubs if I think ill be where ill need 4wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.