03 250 6.0 L stalling, missing-- need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 03 250 6.0 L stalling, missing-- need help!

Have 6.0 turbo diesel with 78,000 miles. It started missing a few weeks ago only intermittently. We changed fuel filter, had some trouble restarting due to airlock. since then it misses intermittently sometimes badly, other times runs well. Fuel filter has been rechecked by mechanic. Put on computer today they say 2 bad fuel injecters one on each side lowest price for injectors$300 each. Another mechanic who looked at it initally now wants $159 for computer diagnosis plus states it might be a number of things which computer won't even pick up. $$$low, long trip ahead, who do you believe ??and why are the injectors so pricey??? HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you pull any DTC's (Diagnostic trouble codes)? They are correct in saying it could be a number of things.

When you changed filters (did you do it?), did you look at them to see if they had any plugging? Did you drain the HFCM to see if you had any water in the fuel? What filters did you go back in with?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

did not get trouble codes

HI, thanks for your response. We changed the filters, have done it before. We used motorcraft, there was no water ,we checked. The truck started missing suddenly one day, which is what led us to change the filters sooner than they were due. Two things occurred previously: We had the oil changed supposedly they used the shell Rotella, there is no foaming of oil. We put fuel in it for the first time since we arrived in FL, don't know if anything is related. We have had the truck here for a couple months and not driven it much although we started it a ran it a couple times a week. The mechanic that came today did not give us any code just showed us on the laptop the injectos that are bad(?) and can fluctuate up and down. This is our first diesel so we're kind of lost. We were thinking if the fuel injector was bad it would miss all the time not run well sometimes then like crap other times.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have on 05 6.0 and i am having a similar problem, but i am getting contribution balance faults on cylinders #3 and #4, i have been told that it is definately injector failure, mine started the same way yours did. I also have been getting an FICM error popping up too. could the injector errs be caused by the faulty FICM?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anwcon1 View Post
. could the injector errs be caused by the faulty FICM?
yes - but USUALLY (IIRC) you will get more injector codes than just one or two AND you will get the p0611 code. What I am seeing and reading is that FICM failures can commonly follow battery or alternator problems. Hopefully it is not the FICM - they are fairly expensive.

Are you sure you got the filter caps and o-rings installed properly and you don't have any air leaks (no cracks in the caps)?

Have you tried unplugging the ICP and seeing if that helps any. probably a long shot since you are getting the injector codes (I assume you are from what you were told).

Also a plugged EGR valve can cause these types of problems if you are up to pulling that just for a look-see.

Last edited by bismic; 02-07-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with everyone about codes - when my ICP went bad it threw the trouble light and coded - similar symptoms.

Don't want to get off the subject but I notice a lot of performance difference when changing altitudes, home is about 600 ft. above sea level, and we do some driving in the 5000 ft. range up to 10,000 and when doing so the truck starts pretty hard when not in it's home enviroment. I mention this only because you say you "arrived in FLA." and wondered if the altitude difference might be a factor and wondered if anyone has ever noticed the same type of scenario.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM

Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fuel injectors,ICP, FICM, Altitude problems with 6.0, fuel pressure

thanks everyone. We did check fuel filter cap and rings. We had thought that it might be the FICM but since the guy who did the diagnostic did not give us the code numbers or tell us which injectors but said one on each side, (of course involving more labor for repair) we aren't sure. If you pay a competent shop for the computer diagnostic would they not give you a print out with the codes? Could fuel pressure be an issue? We know correct fuel pressure essential would that show up anywhere except with a gauge? Before we had all these problems the truck ran fine and pulled our fifth wheel except for occasional noise and black smoke when initially changing to higher altitudes but it seemed to always smooth out once the inital change was over. So I'm assuming by the comments that fuel injectors can work okay for awhile and then not? It does run smoother after it warms up and we drive it then it sits for a day and starts over again. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.