looking for suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for suggestions

I've just finished a oil cooler replacement and egr cooler delete. The cooling system is completely full of oil and antifreeze mixed. Just wondering what some of fellows that have had the same problem used to clean your cooling system. Dish washing liquid [dawn] has been suggested to me. Just wondering if yall might have something that yall used that may work better. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unhappy

Ford recommends using dishwashing detergent - liquid Cascade or Sunlight (for low sudsing), unless there is too much oil contamination.

From a tech :
well we use commercial degreaser at work. it encapsulates the grease and gets it out pretty quick. but you will never get it all out. i have had some i have flushed for hours, and they come back oily again. gold coolant loves mixing with oil !!!

From a tech :
I've used chemical flushes, simple green and liquid dish detergent (sunlight). I find the dish detergent works best, followed by the simple green, and the chemical flushes might as well just be poured in the trash IMO. I prefer to remove and send the radiator to be flushed, and I'll replace any rubber hose that's gone bad, as well as the degas bottle cap. I normally flush them about 4 or 5 times, depending on the degree of failure.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bismic, I had thought about using the degreaser but wasn't sure if it would do any damage to the rubber in the system.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally I would go with the low suds dishwashing detergents. That is the most common choice from the posts I have read. If the contamination is real bad and the dishwashing detergent does not seem to be doing the job - you may have no other choice but to use the degreaser. Still - I would give the detergent 4-5 trys first.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice bismic. Think I'll try it in that order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.