Want to make sure I'm in right direction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want to make sure I'm in right direction

Well, thanks to all so far in giving me ideas and advice as I am looking to get my first PSD. In reading some of the threads and answers to my questions I still have a couple more questions to ask. I want to make sure I hit the ground running when I get my truck. I'd rather save up a few more $$$ to make sure I get it done right the first time.

This is what I am looking at getting right off the bat: FCDP egr delete, sctx3 with tunes nothing to radical, 4" tb exhaust no kitty, amsoil filter bypass kit. My feelings is the EGR system on these is sub-par and I am not going to subject myself to aggrivation from hoping it does not fail when I need the truck the most.

What I would like to know is should I be concerned with the engine oil cooler. Adam from FCDP mentioned in a email depending on the mileage I should either replace the oil cooler or test it? How much of a concern is there with this? I would like to not have issues as possible.

What else am I looking at to do for starters, and no the studs will not be on there yet. I know the warranty might be an issue, but the dealer that I am a vendor for says as long as it does not look abused in driving it they would take care of me, after the fact I stated the weakness of the EGR system.

Sorry for the long post, I am trying to make sure I have enough $$ before i go in with both feet.-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsen View Post

This is what I am looking at getting right off the bat: FCDP egr delete, sctx3 with tunes nothing to radical, 4" tb exhaust no kitty, amsoil filter bypass kit. My feelings is the EGR system on these is sub-par and I am not going to subject myself to aggrivation from hoping it does not fail when I need the truck the most.

What I would like to know is should I be concerned with the engine oil cooler. Adam from FCDP mentioned in a email depending on the mileage I should either replace the oil cooler or test it? How much of a concern is there with this? I would like to not have issues as possible.
You really don't need an EGR delete if you have the SCT - the tunes should be written to disable the EGR valve not allowing it to open. and I don't know anything about the AMsoil filter bypass but i would be very skeptical of Amsoil if i were you.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM

I was reading not the EGR itself, but the cooler to be the host of many problems, I'd rather bypass the whold inadequate(sp?) system than take my chances with the egr cooler. What is wrong with amsoil? I have been using it for quite some time.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know nuttin....

a buddy of mine just bought a new engine for his 06 because he was using extended life amsoil.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh no...here we go again. There are a lot of mixed feelings here about different oils. Use whatever works for you. If you want to know more you can search through the several threads already started on that very subject. I wouldn't open that can of worms here because the thread will be derailed in about 10 seconds
Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
a buddy of mine just bought a new engine for his 06 because he was using extended life amsoil.
too late.....

BTW welcome to the org!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Your EGR cooler can't fail i don't believe if the EGR valve never opens.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM

From what I saw from that GA powerstroke repair facilty on the video, he highly recomends the amsoil bypass add on filter system, or any filter bypass system add on for that matter. I can get the Amsoil one cheaper through work, that is why I mentioned it. If I am in the engine that far for the EGR why not delete everything and no worries, l'd rather have peace of mind.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
From what I saw from that GA powerstroke repair facilty on the video, he highly recomends the amsoil bypass add on filter system, or any filter bypass system add on for that matter. I can get the Amsoil one cheaper through work, that is why I mentioned it. If I am in the engine that far for the EGR why not delete everything and no worries, l'd rather have peace of mind.
Right on
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Don't Delete the Cooler - Upgrade it

Quote:
I was reading not the EGR itself, but the cooler to be the host of many problems, I'd rather bypass the whold inadequate(sp?) system than take my chances with the egr cooler. What is wrong with amsoil? I have been using it for quite some time.
I have heard of this problem with all the 6.0L diesels. Most guys want to cap off the EGR. I heard about these guys in Phoeinx that make an upgrade kit - it uses the standard original outside of the cooler but the inside is removed (the radiator looking stuff) and in its place a new, welded, all-stainless steel body thats 1000 times better than what Ford has put us through.. check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.