How bad is this??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How bad is this???

I plan to get it fixed, but curious as to how bad this may be, or what else could be wrong. It looks like the compressor is leaking oil around the ring on the exhaust side, and I see oil residue at both ends of the intercooler hose, that also exposes some residue on the frame at the front connection. Is there a seal in the compressor that can be replaced? What is this oil doing to the compressor or down line components?

It's my wife's '03 Excursion with the 6.0 and it drives fine, but when I checked the oil, I noticed all of this. Are there trends, or common parts that fail in this area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry, I just noticed I probably posted this in the wrong section. Could I get a moderator to move this to the problems section please?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDoug View Post
I plan to get it fixed, but curious as to how bad this may be, or what else could be wrong. It looks like the compressor is leaking oil around the ring on the exhaust side, and I see oil residue at both ends of the intercooler hose, that also exposes some residue on the frame at the front connection. Is there a seal in the compressor that can be replaced? What is this oil doing to the compressor or down line components?

It's my wife's '03 Excursion with the 6.0 and it drives fine, but when I checked the oil, I noticed all of this. Are there trends, or common parts that fail in this area?

Thanks.
The oil residue you are seeing in the intercooler boots is normal. That is due to the CCV. Are you seeing oil on the exhaust side of the turbo where the exhaust down pipe comes off the turbo, or where the blue boot somes off the turbo and connects to the intercooler tube?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The oil comes from the crankcase vent line (I think its called the CAC) that is plumbed into the intake on our trucks. There is a mod to remove the line from the intake and direct it out on the road (too messy for me), or you can get with NChornet, he has a nice kit that takes the CC vent line and sends it through some kind of filter, and then back to the intake, free of any oil. It will eventually get such a build up that it will start to leak in the valley and come down your bell housing, looking likt a rear main seal leak.

On edit, not a CAC, its a CCV. Thanks dhanna6powerstroke

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 02-03-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: oops
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
The oil comes from the crankcase vent line (I think its called the CAC) that is plumbed into the intake on our trucks. There is a mod to remove the line from the intake and direct it out on the road (too messy for me), or you can get with NChornet, he has a nice kit that takes the CC vent line and sends it through some kind of filter, and then back to the intake, free of any oil. It will eventually get such a build up that it will start to leak in the valley and come down your bell housing, looking likt a rear main seal leak.

On edit, not a CAC, its a CCV. Thanks dhanna6powerstroke
Crank Case Vent = CCV and there is a mod to remove it. CAC = Charge Air Cooler which is basically referring to the intercooler tubes. Just thought I would toss that out there so there wasn't any confusion.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So, nothing to really worry about???

Should I take the cac tubes off and clean things up? What about the flat portion of the compressor around where the bolts are, it appears to leak around there as well? Is there a seal or gasket that I should replace, or would I stir up more harm?

Does any of this contribute to the EGR caking up? Should I take it off and clean it? I'm do for a oil change this weekend anyway. If so, where can I get a new o ring?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Crank Case Vent = CCV and there is a mod to remove it. CAC = Charge Air Cooler which is basically referring to the intercooler tubes. Just thought I would toss that out there so there wasn't any confusion.
I was always curious what that stood for, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.