Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

head studs?

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Goose350 
#1 ·
i've heard both ways-if you leave your motor stock you wont have any problems with head gaskets,when you juice it up the head bolts will stretch and you got a problem.also heard gaskets may go without doing anything to motor.what do you guys think,might as well get more opions.
thanks

#5 ·
Get a tuner and drive it.

#6 ·
Or if you plan to keep it stock dont let headgaskets keep you from buying it.

#7 ·
I've seen some run hot tunes and tow big campers without any issues.
It's the luck of the draw I guess. Some of us just want extra insurance and stud it!!

#8 ·
I have an 04 with 52,000 miles no problems with heads gaskets at all. I had the banks chip in it for about 6months and took it out. I plan on leaving it stock. So knock on wood i think i got a good one.

#10 ·
I ran mine 50 000 miles, I tow a 7000 lb boat and have been running erics race tune when im not towing, his tow tune when towing and dodnt have much of a problem until recently. If you get one and get an EGR delete and headstuds youll be able to run it hard and have a reliable motor. most problemsonthe 6.0s atr relatedto the coolant system losing goolant, causing the engine to overheat and stretching the headbolts. mines down now getting them done with the EGR "fix" and hope to have her for a while. love the truck and couldnt be happier. I got an 06 leftover in 07. Despite the bad reputation the 60s have gotten i love mine.

#12 ·
Was wondering what all Ford will do on the stud problem? Will they only go stock or will the put the studs in? Will they do this under warrantee? Ken
Some will put aftermarket studs in(if you buy them) and others wont. You just have to find the right dealer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.