Diesel Noobie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel Noobie

Hey yall long time reader first time post. Brand new to Diesels, not to ford tho. Have always had good luck. Just bought an 05 crew cab fx4 6.0. Was wondering where to start with the mods performance wise? Also what size tires can i fit on there stock or would it be better to go with a leveling kit? Also are there any mods that i can do myself? Im pretty handy with a tool. I read about alot of mods on here but understand a total of 0.. ANy explanation would be awesome. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First and most important would be to go through the truck and check for any leaks worn out parts etc.
Mod wise the most imortant is gauges! From there i would go with a CAI, 4'' exhasut and some custom tunes from eric or cale.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oh and welcome to powerstroke.org!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Emergency Services

Well thanks. What is a good brand of exhaust? Also what gauges would i need and how would i got about doing them? OR would it be easier to take it to a place to do that?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Helps everyone out alot in the forum if you put your truck and current mods in your signature so there is no confusion on what we are helping you with. Display your City and state so we an tell wheher you are N S E W is nice too.

Gauges are a must when you start adding power. Tried and true and bang for buck method for power adding is SCT X3 tuner, with Cale's or Eric from Innovative tunes added on.

Exhaust is not quite required right away there are a few things you can do to stock until you decide what approach you are going to take or if $$ is an issue.

Cold Air Intake (CAI) would be the bottom of my list I have plenty of other things to buy first. The stock intake is good for 500hp, and the powercore filter is one of the best rated filter media. You can do things to help it out like Zoodad mod.
zoodad mod
Basically cutting a hole hidden behind the grill to let cold air directly into the intake, but like I said, listing your city/state would clue us in to whether you might have an issue with sucking snow/rain/water in the intake.

With a leveling kit for as cheap as 19.99 on ebay you can fit 35X12.5" on stock rims, clear bumpers and fender wells, with just a little bit of rubbing on the main arm at full lock.

Head studs, and EGR delete further down the road when you start raping your checkbook for more power, but this should start you off in the right
direction.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmswhey View Post
Well thanks. What is a good brand of exhaust? Also what gauges would i need and how would i got about doing them? OR would it be easier to take it to a place to do that?

Diprcol, Issopro, autometer in that order are good gauges, Look at Stealth Automotive and other vendors stores, they have kits where you can buy the gauges and pillar pod all in one. If you can install a car stereo you will be fine, there is nothing cosmic about installing them.

Exhaust Look into MBRP, Silverline, Farmboy Diesel etc, They are all decent, again whatever you are willing to spend. Just make sure its 3.5 downpipe at the turbo, then you can open up to whatever you like after that.

Stay away from EDGE, Banks, Bullydog, Diablo, electronics they have no business being on a 6.0. Big name brands you are paying for just that the name.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
gauges first... you will want boost, pyro, trans temp
next is an exhaust.. a 4" Turbo back kit would be great
next i would get nothing else but a custom tuned SCT x3

if you have any questions or need prices let me know

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.