Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.4 Alternator?

33K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Weberman3 
#1 ·
Anyone ever run a 6.4 alternator on their 6.0? I've been given a tip that this will work with a little modification to the case. I found a new (not reman) unit on ebay for a really good price and I'm gonna give it a shot.

Apparently the primary 6.4 alt is a 200 amp unit where as a 6.0 can either have a 110 or 140 in stock configuration. I'm interested to see what it does and if there's any change. My 140 amp seems to do 13.9-14.0v all the time.

Where you have to grind the case

The alt stud is a M8x1.25 so you would have to drill your alternator lug to fit.

See less See more
#6 ·
DC power's page states the 6.4 is pcm controlled also the 6.7 ? but not the 6.0 ( as we know is true for singles duals just get a random selection at startup)

Mounting Type Direct fit to OEM Mounting
Output Voltage PCM Controlled
Idle Amperage 200
Hot Idle Amperage @ 200ºF 180
Max Amperage 270
Hot Max Amperage @ 200ºF 250
Pulley 8 Groove Clutch Pulley
Doesn't affect vehicles PCM, Check Engine Light or Charge Light Yes - Direct plug-in OEM PCM Compliant
SKU 11291-270-XP
Stator Configuration 6 Phase Hairpin
Average A/C Ripple Current 3 Amps
Positive Output Stud Size 8MM x 1.25 Copper
Temperature Compensation Yes with 3-Step Thermal Protection
Rectifier 12 50 amp press fit diodes
Rectifier Heatsink Aluminum
Warranty Duration 2 Years

#7 ·
Yup you are correct, I'm actually glad I posted this before I wasted time modifying and installing this alternator on my truck. This is why you don't believe everything you read on the internet. :D

You can run it and it will work but without a pulse width modulated GENCOM line you'll be stuck in the alternators default mode and only charge 13.5v at any given time. Definitely NOT a worthy upgrade.

Oh well, it was a nice idea, I'll unload it somewhere.

#12 ·
mod?
not sure unless you mean removing one ?
the pdf procedure is if someone want to dump one of the duals

some folks don't want to deal with 2 sometimes they are just in the way for modifications so the lower one gets pulled

if I had duals I am not sure what I would do ? probably upgrade the top one

#13 ·
Oh ok I think I missread it then. It sounded like you could do that to make the two alternators behave as one essentially.

I think it would be nice to have just one alternator with a higher rating vice having two of them. Anyhow thanks for the info. Something I may look into in the future. I like having less stuff under the hood to go wrong and get in the way.

#15 ·
Sinner. I have been trying to figure out how to do the same thing. The 6.4's pcm regulator needs to have communication with pcm to work properly otherwise it will just default to its set point of 13.8 volts if I remember correctly. Thats not high enough to charge the batteries. What i have figured out is I think you can retrofit a regulator from a denso alt used in 2003-2005 Cadillac/Olds alternators which are self regulating to set point of 14.8 volts. p/n is IN6009, or 126600-0090.Then a chevy cs130d connector would have to spliced into the wiring to plug into alt. I think it would be a simple mod but having said this I havent tried it yet still waiting for a good deal on used 200 amp or 125 amp denso

#16 ·
I know this is an old thread,Re to my last post a year ago I finally got a good deal on a 200 amp denso off a 6.4. retrofitted it with a regulator with standard lamp function. Very happy with the results . It puts out 200 amps at idle on a cold day no problem. Voltage holds at 14.8, batteries happy ficm happy. Total cost $40.00 for alternator, $35.00 for regulator, $20.00 for adapter harnesses

#22 ·
I know this is an old thread,Re to my last post a year ago I finally got a good deal on a 200 amp denso off a 6.4. retrofitted it with a regulator with standard lamp function. Very happy with the results . It puts out 200 amps at idle on a cold day no problem. Voltage holds at 14.8, batteries happy ficm happy. Total cost $40.00 for alternator, $35.00 for regulator, $20.00 for adapter harnesses

Uhhhhh.........

The bold concerns me......it should not be putting out 200amps at idle.....EVER!!!!

Seeing as he has 2 posts total here and they are 1 year apart....don't hold your breath guys for this holy grail of alternator swaps for the 6.0.....

Could very well be wrong but I think I will call BS here.....

#18 ·
Interesting. Is a write or part list warranted for those interested?

#24 ·
Went out today and put the clamp on amp meter on the alternator and checked it again about 50 degrees outside today so I wouldn't quite put out the 200 it did when it was freezing but it put out about 180.
So far really happy with how it's working , I don't have a lot of extra electrical loads other than two driving lights drawing 500 watts

Attachments

#25 ·
I have this alternator on my truck too, works great. I mentioned this in other threads but I went to a local alternator/starter store to have my factory alternator rebuilt for more output. The guy instead suggested that I run this alternator with an adapter harness that he'd make me. It would give me the same output for less money and with more modern stuff is how he put it. He also said the voltage output was nearly 15v and that it was rated at 200 but would actually do quite a bit more. I want to say he said 260 but I'm not 100% sure because it's been several months now.

Anyway my voltage was always in the low to mid 13's with the stock alternator and now it's always mid 14's except when the glow plugs are operating, but I haven't done any cable upgrades and mine aren't in the best shape. It's on the list.

I didn't modify the alternator in any way, I just removed that retaining bolt on the coolant line.

Anyway, bottom line I certainly don't have any fancy computer tom-foolery to make it work. Maybe the guy changed out the regulator and I can hit him up and ask, but I'm pretty sure he just gave me the alt as-is and the only "work" he did was making me an adapter plug.

#26 ·
I have this alternator on my truck too, works great. I mentioned this in other threads but I went to a local alternator/starter store to have my factory alternator rebuilt for more output. The guy instead suggested that I run this alternator with an adapter harness that he'd make me. It would give me the same output for less money and with more modern stuff is how he put it. He also said the voltage output was nearly 15v and that it was rated at 200 but would actually do quite a bit more. I want to say he said 260 but I'm not 100% sure because it's been several months now.

Anyway my voltage was always in the mid 13's with the stock alternator and now it's always mid 14's except when the glow plugs are operating, but I haven't done any cable upgrades and mine aren't in the best shape. It's on the list.

I didn't modify the alternator in any way, I just removed that retaining bolt.

Anyway, bottom line I certainly don't have any fancy computer tom-foolery to make it work. Maybe the guy changed out the regulator and I can hit him up and ask, but I'm pretty sure he just gave me the alt as-is and the only "work" he did was making me an adapter plug.
My voltages are exactly the same as yours and I do believe they underrated this alternator but the most I've Seen on my clamp on meter is 200 amps and like all alternators output deminishes with heat.

#27 ·
Bringing this thread back up to keep info in one place.

Wondering if folks that have done this mod have any more info/experience to share?

I read through the two that were successful (@seijirou, @johnnybuck - thanks!). In one, a different regulator was swapped in and wiring adapted (6.0 harness plug to GM CS130). The other, sounds like wiring adapter only (6.0 harness plug to 6.4 alt) and no change to alternator.

Thanks for any info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.