Looking at an '06 F550 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at an '06 F550

New guy here. Not new to diesels (well I am to PSD) and I am looking at buying a 2006 F550 Chariot Hauler conversion. The truck currently has 32,800 miles and has been used primarily to haul a 17-18k 5th Wheel trailer. MSRP new was 78k and he is asking 37k. He needs a bigger truck (Class 8) as he up-sized his 5th wheel and wants to sell the 550.

I had an OASIS run and below are excerpts (Just the mechanical stuff).. there were a few entries for some minor electrical but they were just failed sensors so I left that off...

My question is; should I still consider buying this truck with the problems listed although they were fixed and the current owner states he has had no more engine related problems in the last 11k miles of running.

I have heard good and bad about the 6.0, but am not ready to condemn what I am uneducated about... so if ya'll could read between the lines of the following and give a few opinions, I would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks in advance and sorry to be so long winded on my first post here.

Bill

May of 2007, Milage 16502

Cust Comments: CUSTOMER STATES VEC RUNS HOT OVER HEATS TOWING
Tech Comments: VEH OVERHEATS COOLANT COMING FROM DEGAS BOTTLE PERFORM TSB 06 21 02 CK FOR CROSS CONTAMINATION PASS PERF KOEO,RETRIEVE CONT,INJ SELF TEST,KOER PASS PIDM ONITOR ECTEOT
PASS 10 DEG DIFF PTEST COOLING SYS RAD LEAKING AT LOWER TANK REPLACE RADIATOR W NEW PTEST RAD CAP PASS R&I EGR VALVE PERF EGR COOLERTEST FAIL COOLANT IN INTAKE REPLACE EGR COOLER W NEW ROAD TEST AT WOT PSI EXCEEDS
-----------------------------------------
Aug of 2007, Milage 19509

Cust Comments: CUST STATES RUNS VERY ROUGH
Tech Comments: 19515 INJ PERFORMANCE SHEET 1 6B. CODE P0273. PINPOINT TE ST P. CK AND REPLACE #5 INJ. ON POWER BALANCE 45. CLEAR CODE ROAD TEST 475
------------------------------------------

Oct of 2007, Milage 20385

Cust Comments: ENG SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS NOW WILL NOT TURN OVER TO START.
Tech Comments: INJ. CK FOR NO START AND FOUND ENGINE LOCKED UP. UNDER HOOD INSP KOEO P0274,P0305,KOCM P0274,P0305. CK AND PERFORM PINPOINT TEST P. INJ BUZZ TEST NO CODES.WHEN LISTENED TO BUZZTEST COU LD NOT HEAR #5 BUZZ. NO CODE ON BUZZ TEST. REMOVE RIGHT VALV E COVER AND INSP. #5 INJ STUCK OPEN AND FILL CLY WITH FUEL. UNLOCK ENGINE AND REPLACE #5 INJ. ON REASSEMABL NOTICED CAC
Cust Comments: ENG BLOWING HEAVY BLACK SMOKE WITH NO POWER
Tech Comments: EBP,Y PIPE AND TURBO TECH 9837 CK CODE P0470,P0471,P0299.PINPOINT TEST FOUND TURBO STICKING AND EBP SENOR SHORTED AND EXHAUST LEAK. REPLACE E BP SENSOR,CLEAN TURBO,REPLACE Y PIPE ON RIGHT SIDE.071601D 3.7 HRS CLEAR CODE ROAD TEST RETEST OK.
-------------------------------------------------

Nov of 2007, Milage 21762

Cust Comments: ENG RUNNING HOT UNDER A LOAD 4 GALLONS OF COOLANT ADDED IN A 500 MILE TRIP ABOUT 1 GALLON EVERY 150 MILES
Tech Comments: HEAD GASKETS PERFORM PRES TEST,PERFORM CARBON TEST. FAILED TEST.REMOVE EGR COOLER AND TEST COOLER. COOLER OK. REMOVE AND REPLACE HEAD GASKETS, CK HEADS FOR FLATNESS OK. REASSEMBLE ENGINE. CHANGE OIL AND FILTER DUE TO COOLANT IN OIL.CLEAR CODES AND ROAD TEST OK 9837
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
IDK on something like that. Its had alot of work done. But had all the main parts that fail replaced already. If it where me i would skip it and find a cleaner rig. Also noticed it had the #5 injector replaced twiced within 750 miles of each other.. But i would be willing to bet thats due to a bad part to begin with.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have to agree. I am not an expert on 6.0's but I dont think I would trust any engine that has had the much go wrong in such a short time!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
stay away.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the opinions... Think I will take a pass on this one and keep looking...

Bill
Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed my mind... not on Ford, but I ended up ordering me a new F450... thanks again..

Bill
On Order 2009 F450 Lariat 4X2 - Sterling Grey over Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.