Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Differeneces between 03 turbo and newer one?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
hey guys im wondering other than the whistle are there any mechanical advantages like reliability construction ect between the 2003 turbos and the newer model? thanks for the help

#2 ·
03 has less vanes. 04 has 2 more vanes. 05+ has even more vanes than the 04. No difference really. Same function. Some people say a little lower EGTs with the 03 but there's really not a noticeable difference. It's well worth it for the SOUND though!

#3 ·
I don't think there is any reliability difference between them. I believe the only real difference is the number of vanes on them. The 03 turbo has 10 vanes and the 06 turbo has 15. I could be wrong though, someone will chime in that knows a little more about it.

#4 ·
I believe the only real difference is the number of vanes on them. The 03 turbo has 10 vanes and the 06 turbo has 15. I could be wrong though, someone will chime in that knows a little more about it.
YEAH I BELIEVE THATS CORRECT. '03 HAS 10 VANES; '04 HAS 12 VANES; AND '05 THRU '07 HAS 15 VANES. THERE IS ANOTHER THEARD ABOUT THIS SOMEWHERE ON THE FORUM.

#6 ·
All the 6.0L turbos came with variable vanes...

#9 ·
The 03 wheel is slightly larger and on the top end can make slightly more power but everyone swaps them for the whistle. On a straight piped truck it is insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.