6.0l build for power and longevity - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l build for power and longevity

Hello all! I have been reading posts here for some time and think this is a rather 6.0l friendly site. At least compared to others who want nothing to do with the motor and have seem to completely give up on it? I have a 2004 F-350 4x4 DRW w/6.0l and 4.10 gearing that I use for work and pull 12 to 14k up the mountains here in NM for business. Now my 6.0l has been nothing but aces for me. It has 90K and has never had any issues ever, not ever. Clean oasis! I am very careful to make sure my ford dealer services it at every scheduled interval and she has worked like a horse for me and I am very, very happy with it.
OK, after all this rambling I'll get to my question, haha. I will soon be moving to a larger trailer, 18k. I am going to move to a 4.30 gear to help a little with the tug but also want to know if there is any safe build up for the 6.0 to get the power up and not sacrificing the longevity, durability, and reliability. My goal would be to get around 350 to 375hp and 700ftlbs tq, 25 to 50 hp over stock and 130tq over stock and be as reliable as a stock motor? My thinking to do this would be the following parts. Am I missing anything here and do I just have wishful thinking or is it a doable project?

ARP Head Studs
Improved O-Ringed Head gaskets
Custom Tuner with Tunes for specific application
4" Turbo Back Exhaust
EGR Complete Delete
Larger Radiator
Larger Intercooler
ZOODAD Mod
Performance Intake Elbow

I figure the head studs and gaskets will hopefully be able to take the added power reliably. Remember its just for towing, I don't ever race or beat up on my diesel but I know pulling some of these inclines is pretty tough on a motor. The exhaust, radiator, intercooler, and intake mods to help with cooling for the extra fueling that will be going on. Well what do the experts here think? Can a 6.0 make 350 to 375hp and 700tq reliably while towing and still be able to make 300k on a motor like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
What you have listed should do the job nicely
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Your biggest issue with that size load will be stopping it, not moving it. The larger trucks rated for this load have bigger breaking systems.
I honestly have no idea what kind of breaking system you could upgrade to - if any - but at least make sure you have proper breaks on the trailer and maybe even consider air breaks for it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have already upgraded all the brakes on the truck to Power Slots with EBC "Green Stuff" extra duty pads. They seem to work heads and tails better than the stock stuff. In addition I have done a little research on the brakes and max combined tow weight. What I have came up with is that the only difference between my brake system and the system on the 05 Tow-Boss option that has a combined tow weight of 26k is the rear disks are redesigned with better parking brakes. Now I understand the importance of having the better parking brakes but I am never in a situation to where I'm parking on any inclines and the trailer is a triple axle with all axles having brakes. The Haulmark trailer I have now has no problem stopping the truck by its self. Of course I don't use the brake controller this way and have a good balance of braking between towing vehicle and trailer. But the real question is about the 6.0. Can the power and torque be raised by the levels I'm looking for and still be reliable for the long haul?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You really don't need a larger radiator I don't believe and at that power level stock head gaskets will be fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043504x4 View Post
But the real question is about the 6.0. Can the power and torque be raised by the levels I'm looking for and still be reliable for the long haul?
yes
Old 01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone else care to chime in here? I'd like to here from some of the builders and tuners on this site if they have the time to share their expertise and maybe some opinions on what particular brands and components I should start collecting for the build - Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 PM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043504x4 View Post
ARP Head Studs Definately
Improved O-Ringed Head gaskets not necessary, stock ford gaskets will be fine.
Custom Tuner with Tunes for specific application Innovative diesel Xcal3 with Aggressive Tow file.
4" Turbo Back Exhaust Great idea.
EGR Complete Delete Excellent idea
Larger Radiator Not needed.
Larger Intercooler Banks technicooler package would work well for what you have in mind.
ZOODAD Mod Excellent "free" mod.
Performance Intake Elbow Comes with the technicooler package.
This would make for an excellent, reliable towing machine.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

I didnt see gauges on the list anywhere
Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
I didnt see gauges on the list anywhere
x2.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.