Block Heater Draw? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater Draw?

Ok guys, I need help. My company is saying that my truck is drawing way to much power when I have it plugged in at work on cold days and is jacking up the bills. What would be the bill for one of our trucks plugged in for 8hours? I don't know if this can be calculated or not, just looking for some help.
Thanks.

-BG06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

they draw 1000 watts so 8000 watts a day
Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Yeah but how do I figured out how much money it is?

-BG06.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM

kind of funny you brought this up because my electric bill was 120 bucks more from dec-1 to jan-1, i THOUGHT it was all because of this "eden pure" electric heater i bought, buuuut you made me remember my truck was plugged in most of the month because i didnt drive it..... hhmmmmm aahhhhh my buddy just said we need to buy a meter to check it,, probably could get it at home depot or someplace like that...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM

yall do remember that the whole country had a cold snap during the 2nd and 3rd week in DEC. Most places were in the low tens a couple of day and real cold for a week.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Jon

!

I had a timer set up. Mine came on at 3am and ran till 7am. Engine was 100 degrees when I got in at 7am. Didnt notice a diff on the power bill.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codman02 View Post
kind of funny you brought this up because my electric bill was 120 bucks more from dec-1 to jan-1, i THOUGHT it was all because of this "eden pure" electric heater i bought, buuuut you made me remember my truck was plugged in most of the month because i didnt drive it..... hhmmmmm aahhhhh my buddy just said we need to buy a meter to check it,, probably could get it at home depot or someplace like that...
dont need a meter. its a fact its 1000 watts. as far as seeing what they charge, i think every state is different. ask your boss to tell you what the electric co charges per kilowatt and figure it from there. another thing is buy a simple timer to go on for 3 hours before you get back and that will help alot. be sure its capable of holding more than 1000 watts tho. my timer is set for 3 hours and is good for 1500 watts.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 PM

The heater draws about 8.3 Amps by my Calcs. P=V*I 1000=120*I or 1000/120 =8.33Amps
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM

Where did you buy your timer Jon or anybody else which has a timer setup?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen06 View Post
Yeah but how do I figured out how much money it is?

-BG06.
Block heater pulls 1000 watts. Multiplied times 8 hours, that is is 8000 watt hours per day.

Divide watt hours by 1000 to get the total kilowatt hours (Kwh). In this case, 8000/1000 = 8 Kwh.

Multiply 8 Kwh times the cost per each Kwh that your electric company charges (should be on your bill) to get cost per day. For example, my electric company charges $0.09891 per KwH. Multiplied times 8, that equals $0.79 (rounded off) per 8 hr day.

Some power companies also charge a monthly "customer charge" on top of actual power consumed. To figure your fair share of the bill, you need to divide your monthly Kwh by the total Kwh on the bill, then multiply the monthly customer charge by that percentage. For example, assume your monthly Kwh consumption is 160 (8 kwh per day times 20 days), the monthly customer charge is $10.00, and the total Kwh on the monthly bill is 1650. 160 divided by 1650 = 0.0969697, times 10.00 = $0.97 (rounded off). So, your share of the bill would be $15.82 + $0.97 = $16.79.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.