Gear Swap, Ball Joints... What a job! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gear Swap, Ball Joints... What a job!

Well, I finally tackled the gear swap while I was home for Christmas break this year. Took out the 3.73s and the crappy Ford Limited Grip and got the 4.30s and a TrueTrac put in. Also replaced all four ball joints (pretty sad shape) and all the front end seals. It took a little longer than expected, but I'm sure liking the results. Low end is MUCH better now and I think my town mileage will show a nice improvement.

I've been babying them for a while, but today I got into it fully for the first time... wow! There was a Dodge Hemi with obnoxiously loud dual exhaust which I left in a cloud if black smoke. I wasn't going to drive it hard yet on the new gears, but he taunted me about 3 lights in a row so I had to put him in his place

For anyone thinking about doing your own gears... I would not advise it unless you are VERY proficient. I spent about a week on the floor of a poorly heated shop and would not have been totally against paying to have it done, which is NOT like me. It wasn't fun at all, but I'm glad I did it now. I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Last edited by cartmanea; 01-11-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would be very interested in how the highway rpm's have changed.

This has been a area of interest to me, but I am undecided as to which way I want to go, we have a E450 6.0, rv.

Gear vendors overdrive unit or rear end swap, what do you think?, the object is a few more miles per gallon.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gears are a job, no doubt. Have to be done right or it's not going to work right.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Well, the 4.30s are 15% lower than the 3.73s, so RPMs cruising at 65mph went up from 1750 to 2000.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
what size tires you running?

also your lucky you got the 4.30's now... precission gears which is one of the only places that made 4.30 gears for our trucks just went out of business about a month ago.... i still have not found a place that makes a good set of 4.30 gears

but i have some. with my 37's at 70mph im at about 2100RPM
Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM

I got Yukon gears from Randy's Ring and Pinion. From what I've read they are good gears, although the pattern on the 10.5 was a little difficult to get setup correctly. Tires are 35s now and the next set will be 37s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.