06 F350 hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 F350 hard start

A friend of mine is having a problem with his 06 F350, bone stock with no mods. When he goes to start it, it takes 5-10 tries to get the truck to start. Once it starts, it runs fine. The fuel filters are brand new, so that's not the issue. He recently changed the batteries, but it had the same problem before he changed them.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm thinking he may have a glow plug issue since it runs fine once it finally starts. I've heard of high pressure oil leaks causing hard starts too, but I'd think it would run at least a little bad with an issue like that. The truck is under the 100k warranty, but he's afraid it will be something that isn't covered, so he wanted some ideas before he takes it to the dealer.

Edit:

I just talked to him again, and he said the truck seems sluggish when he's driving, so that makes me think even more that it's a high pressure leak.

Last edited by tech10002; 01-09-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM

I had a high pressure oil leak with caused the truck to start hard when it was warm or cold. Just recently the truck was starting hard and it kept getting worse until It wouldn't start, it was the FICM this time, by the time I got it to Ford and had it diagnosed $250.00 then the FICM $970.00 and then the labor, I wanted to cry.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if this problem didnt occur before he replaced the fuel filter then i would go there first new doesn't mean good and he could simply be suckin air thru the seal on the filter to tight and too loose equals hard start tell tale signs of suckin air is hard start plus usually white smoke on start up and depending on how bad you air leak is rough idle and potentially poor accelleration a loud clanking/smacking noise at idle and a variety of other potential problems depending on how bad a leak there is
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I too had this problem for 2 mornings in a row. I was in the Lake Tahoe area and morning temp was around 25. I thought it could have been many different things and when I finally got it started I opened the hood and that is when I realized that the passenger side battery terminal (+) had a smaller red wire going to it and the wire terminal was loose. Tightened it and all good so far... Lots of white smoke when problem was occurring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.