Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Anyone remove a 6.0L and install a 7.3L?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bdubb 
#1 ·
Wonderin if anyone has ever heard of someone takin a 6.0L out of a 2005-2007 and installin a 7.3L back in its place. Will tranny bolt up? Can it be done or does this sound like way too much of an undertaking? :dunno:

#2 ·
The bellhousings are different. You would also need a standalone trans controller.

Whats wrong with your 6.0 that you are considering the swap

#3 ·
Imo I would just buy a 03 7.3, seems like it would be way to much work and $$$$

#4 ·
Nothin wrong. I want a specific truck and want it in a 7.3L Standard. Cant find one in good shape, i guess cuz they r older. I have found quite a few though with 6.0L engines and was considerin buyin one aqnd puttin a 7.3L in it. Besides, i really like the 05-07 grille, headlight assembly, etc.

#5 ·
You can do the grille/headlight conversions, but the one main thing that would be kinda tricky would be updating the new interior. I like the 05+ interior better than the 04-.

#6 ·
I was wondering on this subject as well my mechanic says they will bolt right up i said no way nothing is that easy considering they are way 2 differnt motors and i think trannys to. Not to mention wouldnt you need a computer/brain swap to ? I would like to hear from someone whos actually done it . what you need to do to swap them out

#7 ·
hum anythings possible if your a good mechanic, you dont see limits only solutions, have you ever seen one with a Cummins in it?? I have and it took some fabrication, relocation of parts, and custom-er made parts, but it worked, so for you to bolt it up um no maybey not because the kit may not come with instructions or parts if you know what I mean :thumb:

#8 ·
It could be done with enough time and cash. I would swap the entire drive train (engine, trans, and T-case). Then I would use all the origenal harness and brains from a doner truck. The rest would be getting certain stuff like the guege cluster to talk to the computer.

#9 ·
Also I heard practical mentioned. and you were talking to a mechanic, probabally with a fully stocked repair facility at his disposal and years of accumilated parts, tools, and equipment at his disposal, so practical to him may seemingly be impossible to the average joe in his home garage, so it all depends on your point of view, are you outside looking in or inside looking out man.

#11 ·
Way cheaper to start with a 7.3 truck swaps turn into big $$$$$$$$$$$ unless you just get lucky as all get out. Sometimes getting wireing harnesses for these trucks is a real pita esp if you have a Ford parts guy that is a douche.

#12 ·
Nope im the guy Saying Well Brad (my Mechanic) if its so easy Hop to man . But no really i was just wondering if there was more to it than just bolting everything up thats all . I know it can be Done and probably will be once my fathers 6.0 Dies. As for me Im keeping my 6.0 I have Big plans hopefully

#13 ·
Well, I still maintain that it can be done but its not something that is going to be thrown togethor over the course of a weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.