Newbie needs help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie needs help!

Hopefully someone can help me out. I just purchased a 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, and have an exhaust question. The day after I got the truck home, I was doing some inspecting. I noticed that the exuast pipe is a straight 4", or 5" pipe all the way from the turbo and back. My first thought was, "doesn't this thing need a cat. and a muffler? CA smog Requirements? Backpressure?" Not being to familiar with diesels I stopped by a muffler/smog shop. The guys told me that supposedly in 2010 CA is going to start requiring smog on these, and that I'd have to retro it then. He also said that not having the backpressure created by the cat/muffler, that I'd probably burn up the turbo faster. Is he correct?

The dealer is willing to install a cat. for free, if I'd like ($1000 +/-). Does anyone have any input on the smog issue, and the issue of wearing out turbo, or other parts, faster by not having any backpressure.

Thanks
SDB22 is offline  
post #2 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Mod Newbie

 
dhanna6powerstroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 13,156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 142 Times in 134 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me out. I just purchased a 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, and have an exhaust question. The day after I got the truck home, I was doing some inspecting. I noticed that the exuast pipe is a straight 4", or 5" pipe all the way from the turbo and back. My first thought was, "doesn't this thing need a cat. and a muffler? CA smog Requirements? Backpressure?" Not being to familiar with diesels I stopped by a muffler/smog shop. The guys told me that supposedly in 2010 CA is going to start requiring smog on these, and that I'd have to retro it then. He also said that not having the backpressure created by the cat/muffler, that I'd probably burn up the turbo faster. Is he correct?

The dealer is willing to install a cat. for free, if I'd like ($1000 +/-). Does anyone have any input on the smog issue, and the issue of wearing out turbo, or other parts, faster by not having any backpressure.

Thanks
I don't know the laws where you are at but I don't know that I would worry about a cat unless you have to have the tuck inspected. Most guys on here have there 6.0 straight piped and don't look back. As far as damaging the turbo, sounds to me like the guy just wants to sell you a cat because a straight piped exhaust won't damage the turbo at all. If anything, it probably helps it by getting the exhaust out faster. If you have to, find a cat that has been hollowed out and install it to pass visual inspection.

dhanna6powerstroke is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Raul@Stealth Automotive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 20,359
Thanks: 23
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i live in Socal and the only thing i have heard about the smog regulations in 2010 is that yes diesel will have too but only if they weigh less then our F 250

so according to the law were still in the clear... for now...

if your truck is a cali truck then it is supposed to have a cat...

as far as the back pressure is concerned... get a tuner and you wont have to worry about that....

SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go for the 6.0L

also dont forget about gauges

PM me if you need any more info bud

-Raul
Raul@Stealth Automotive is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator


 
SuperCrutyPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orangevale, CA
Posts: 15,074
Thanks: 79
Thanked 473 Times in 457 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like Raul said, anything with a diesel that is under 8501 Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) will start getting SMOGged. California being the way it is, it won't be too long before the rest of us will get the call to the sniffer station.

From my understanding, back-pressure is different for diesels than it is for a gasser.


Owner | Operator: Darryl
My Truck Garage: Ol' Guy
Tow Toy Garage : Pilgrim International 31RE3SLF5
United States Navy - IC2 - '76-'80
SuperCrutyPS is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info. I checked w/ the CA Bureau of Auto Repair, and they gave me the list of items truck is supposed to have. My biggest concern is when CA starts requiring smog on this truck, and it looks like they are, I'll be stuck with a nice big bill to put it back to original. The dealer has offered to take care of it for free, and I'm leaning towards letting them.
SDB22 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
troid123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked w/ the CA Bureau of Auto Repair, and they gave me the list of items truck is supposed to have. My biggest concern is when CA starts requiring smog on this truck, and it looks like they are, I'll be stuck with a nice big bill to put it back to original. The dealer has offered to take care of it for free, and I'm leaning towards letting them.
WHAT??!

2006 F250 CC Short Bed King Ranch 4x4 (109,000 miles)
4" Turbo Back w/ 6" Tip
SCT x3 w/ Custom Tunes From DJ's/Innovative
03 turbo
Eclipse Navigation/DVD/CD/MP3 w/ Rear Camera
Rear DVD/MP3/CD Entertainment System
Escort Passport SR7 Built In Radar Detection System
K & N Cold Air Intake w/ S&B Replacement Filter
Roll-N-Lock Retractable Bed Cover
Nitto Trail Grappler LT295/70R18
***SOLD 10/31/11***

New Truck:
2011 Ford F-150 Limited 6.2L Super Crew
troid123 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's my other option? According to the BAR, in CA, they've already been given instruction to implement smog inspections starting in 2010. If my dealer doesn't pay to add back the cat., and whatever else in needs, It'll be my bill down the road.
SDB22 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
CCSBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indpls., IN.
Posts: 1,274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea but in 2010 it will be for the weight under our trucks so I would just roll with it till time comes, may never come you never know. But if you want just have ford do it for free then just buy and test pipe so you can swap back and forth

***SOLD***
'04 CrewCab ShortBed 6.0 4x4
Black FX4 Sport
6K HID's
CCV Mod
03 Turbo
6.4 Banjo's
Zoodad Mod
4.5" Icon Lift
High Idle Mod
ARP Headstuds
RCD EGR Delete
Updated FPR Spring
Sinister Coolant Filter
Recon Smoked Cab Lights
SCT X3 Tuned by Innovative
4" MBRP SS Turbo Back Exhaust
ISSPRO EV pyro, trans, boost guages
CCSBD is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
My 6OH Hates Me


 
mudrunninpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nexus of the Universe
Posts: 24,835
Thanks: 8
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSBD View Post
yea but in 2010 it will be for the weight under our trucks so I would just roll with it till time comes, may never come you never know. But if you want just have ford do it for free then just buy and test pipe so you can swap back and forth
Great Idea, This is what I would do

Mike




"The Iron Pig"



mudrunninpig is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome