Newbie needs help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie needs help!

Hopefully someone can help me out. I just purchased a 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, and have an exhaust question. The day after I got the truck home, I was doing some inspecting. I noticed that the exuast pipe is a straight 4", or 5" pipe all the way from the turbo and back. My first thought was, "doesn't this thing need a cat. and a muffler? CA smog Requirements? Backpressure?" Not being to familiar with diesels I stopped by a muffler/smog shop. The guys told me that supposedly in 2010 CA is going to start requiring smog on these, and that I'd have to retro it then. He also said that not having the backpressure created by the cat/muffler, that I'd probably burn up the turbo faster. Is he correct?

The dealer is willing to install a cat. for free, if I'd like ($1000 +/-). Does anyone have any input on the smog issue, and the issue of wearing out turbo, or other parts, faster by not having any backpressure.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me out. I just purchased a 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, and have an exhaust question. The day after I got the truck home, I was doing some inspecting. I noticed that the exuast pipe is a straight 4", or 5" pipe all the way from the turbo and back. My first thought was, "doesn't this thing need a cat. and a muffler? CA smog Requirements? Backpressure?" Not being to familiar with diesels I stopped by a muffler/smog shop. The guys told me that supposedly in 2010 CA is going to start requiring smog on these, and that I'd have to retro it then. He also said that not having the backpressure created by the cat/muffler, that I'd probably burn up the turbo faster. Is he correct?

The dealer is willing to install a cat. for free, if I'd like ($1000 +/-). Does anyone have any input on the smog issue, and the issue of wearing out turbo, or other parts, faster by not having any backpressure.

Thanks
I don't know the laws where you are at but I don't know that I would worry about a cat unless you have to have the tuck inspected. Most guys on here have there 6.0 straight piped and don't look back. As far as damaging the turbo, sounds to me like the guy just wants to sell you a cat because a straight piped exhaust won't damage the turbo at all. If anything, it probably helps it by getting the exhaust out faster. If you have to, find a cat that has been hollowed out and install it to pass visual inspection.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i live in Socal and the only thing i have heard about the smog regulations in 2010 is that yes diesel will have too but only if they weigh less then our F 250

so according to the law were still in the clear... for now...

if your truck is a cali truck then it is supposed to have a cat...

as far as the back pressure is concerned... get a tuner and you wont have to worry about that....

SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go for the 6.0L

also dont forget about gauges

PM me if you need any more info bud

-Raul
Old 12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Like Raul said, anything with a diesel that is under 8501 Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) will start getting SMOGged. California being the way it is, it won't be too long before the rest of us will get the call to the sniffer station.

From my understanding, back-pressure is different for diesels than it is for a gasser.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I checked w/ the CA Bureau of Auto Repair, and they gave me the list of items truck is supposed to have. My biggest concern is when CA starts requiring smog on this truck, and it looks like they are, I'll be stuck with a nice big bill to put it back to original. The dealer has offered to take care of it for free, and I'm leaning towards letting them.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Thanks for the info. I checked w/ the CA Bureau of Auto Repair, and they gave me the list of items truck is supposed to have. My biggest concern is when CA starts requiring smog on this truck, and it looks like they are, I'll be stuck with a nice big bill to put it back to original. The dealer has offered to take care of it for free, and I'm leaning towards letting them.
WHAT??!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What's my other option? According to the BAR, in CA, they've already been given instruction to implement smog inspections starting in 2010. If my dealer doesn't pay to add back the cat., and whatever else in needs, It'll be my bill down the road.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yea but in 2010 it will be for the weight under our trucks so I would just roll with it till time comes, may never come you never know. But if you want just have ford do it for free then just buy and test pipe so you can swap back and forth
Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSBD View Post
yea but in 2010 it will be for the weight under our trucks so I would just roll with it till time comes, may never come you never know. But if you want just have ford do it for free then just buy and test pipe so you can swap back and forth
Great Idea, This is what I would do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.