6.0L INFO from a rookie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up 6.0L INFO from a rookie

Hello everyone. This is my first thread as I am a new member.

I Am interested in buying a ford diesel. I have found a 2005 f250 with
155,000km on it (Roughly 60,000 miles).
I have heard the the 6.0L powerstroke had alot of problems and i dont want to spend good money on the truck then have it break down on me.
The warranty is going to run out on it soon. The seller said it recently had the fuel pump replaced under warranty.
Also, how are these engines in starting in the cold when they have not been plugged in. Where i go hunting in nothern Ontario it gets damn cold and the truck wont be plugged in.

Sorry for the long thread.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the forum!!! Your in the right place for all your questions! These guys here (and a few women too!) are awesome and helpful as all can be.

The 6.0's are good engines - they do have their shortcomings - but they are strong runners too. I have the worst year available - an early '03 6.0 with 171,000 miles on her - going strong. Had my share of issues - but I love my truck! Remember - these engines are warranted to the second owner for 100,000 miles - dont be afraid of 60K on her - mine had 69K when I bought her 2 years ago.

What do you consider cold for cold starting? I generally dont plug in until night temps are lower then 15 - but where I live - that's rare. Even then - I normally just cycle the plugs two or three times before starting and let her run a bit before backing out the driveway. They do like to be warmed up before driven.

Just noticed your in Canada - dont know if the warranty on the engine is the same as in the states. Sorry.

Welcome to the org!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the reply. The owner says the warrnty runs out in october 2010 or 160,000km It has 155,000km on it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

some of the 6.0s had issues some didnt, I would have an Oasis ran to see what warranty work has been done.

oh ya, Welcome to the org!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thats not a lot of miles for a truck that is well cared for. Best thing you can do is look at what warranty work has already been done and ask owner questions.
Have the local Ford dealer run the vin and get all the service/recall/warranty history from the dealer.
BTW 155,000 km is 96,875 miles....
Old 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What would i be looking for if i get the history from the dealer on it repairs, recalls, etc?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

but then if it's never been replaced is it more or less likely to have problems. I would look @ service history, Use and do you like the truck.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM

By '05 most of the bugs were worked out. Look for maintenance records too - check for updates - what was replaced - if anything that the dealer would have records of.

Their great trucks -
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
All of these guys have given great advice. The best thing you can do is just ask questions about the truck. Good luck and WELCOME to the Org!
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I always have a vin run at a dealer on a used vehicle. It will show if the vehicle has ongoing issues or if its just simple stuff. If it was ever serviced at a dealer that shows up as well. If the previous owner never took it to the Ford dealer then you have to obtain service history to see where or if it was serviced regularly
Dont get me wrong, I dont always take the truck to Ford for service...but I keep a history/bills to show service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.