shocks and tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shocks and tires

After getting stuck on Saturday (and getting snatched out by a 1/2 ton Ford) - my need for new tires has climbed the necessity scale a few points.

While checking out my tires - my fronts need new shocks too. My stock Rancho RS5000's - well, with 170,000 miles on them - makes sense they are severly cupping what tread is left on my Nitto's (which is like - none. more obvious on the sides).

I've heard alot of people talking about Bilstine shocks and Rancho's - what about Skyjackers or any of the others out there.

My truck has 2.5" add-a-leafs front and rear. I've heard I can go with stock height for front but what about rear?

And the 2nd part of this thread - 285's are alot cheaper then the 305's or 315's I want - I feel like I am digressing even looking at 285's. Anyone else ever feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM

I love my bilstiens. Another thing to consider for ride quality is sulastic. These things are awesome! As far as tires, I am still saving and convincing my wife that I need 375/50/18 and not 265's or 285's. And yes its because I feel 285 wouldnt be what I want.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Bilstein shocks are the best quality shocks for our trucks IMO. The tire size decision is up to you but if it was me I would go with the biggest tire possible.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 AM

Will stock sized Bilstiens work or do I need a shock for the 2.5 add-a-leafs?

I've "heard" I can run stock length in the front even with the 2.5 add-a-leafs. Is this true? What about the rear's?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 AM

You can run stock length shocks with that smaller lift but if you're buying new ones, you might as well do it right and get a longer shock. Even though your lift is only 2.5", I would get a shock that is 3.5-4" longer than stock. This lets you keep your shocks if you lift it a little more in the future, as so many people do.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Does Bilstine come in the longer version? When does the longer version become too long?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 AM

Yes, the bilsteins come in diff lengths. I think the 5150's are the best buy for the buck. You also have your choice of valving. (hard, soft)

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHMissions View Post
Does Bilstine come in the longer version? When does the longer version become too long?

Bilstein 5100 - 1"-3" Front Lift Application - 1999-2004 Superduty 4wd - 5100 Series (Lifted Applications) - Truck Toyz Store

If you are running a F-350 block in the rear:
Bilstein 5100 - 0"-1" Rear Lift Application - 2005-2008 Superduty 4wd - 5100 Series (Lifted Applications) - Truck Toyz Store

If you are running more lift in the rear:
Bilstein 5100 - 1"-3" Rear Lift Application - 1999-2004 Superduty 4wd - 5100 Series (Lifted Applications) - Truck Toyz Store

The 5100s are valved specifically for the for the Super Duty. Come with a lifetime warranty.

The 5150s are only offered in generic/non-specific valving. Come with a 1yr warranty.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Bilstein shocks are the best quality shocks for our trucks IMO. The tire size decision is up to you but if it was me I would go with the biggest tire possible.
I agree, Just bought 285's wish I would have gone 315's But I was in a time crunch
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM

I'm trying hard to get the 315's. I want them - but the numbers do play a big part - numbers being cost difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.