Changing Power steering fluid - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing Power steering fluid

The manual recommends mercon ATF, in my 06 superduty. Would anyone suggest making a move to a synthetic for the power steering fluid? What sythetic would be compatable with the mercon atf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM

In all my years I have never changed the PS fluid in any vehicle. I just looked at it like a pump (which they are). What's the point?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM

What's the point?

Maybe it's a waste but I read somewhere, I think it was an aftermarket service manual, that it was not a bad idea to change it. I just change it like all other fluids, even brake fluid. Maybe it's a total waste of time and money but I would rather over maintain than under maintain.
There are moving parts in these things right? I thought that changing these fluids would get rid of any possible contaminants, ie., moisture, wear particles, etc.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:32 PM

Brake fluid yes, just never heard of PS fluid before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan"gerous" For This Useful Post:
jeffransom (03-24-2014)
Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan"gerous" View Post
In all my years I have never changed the PS fluid in any vehicle. I just looked at it like a pump (which they are). What's the point?
i agree, plus his truck is only 2 years old i dont think it really needs to be changed but then again its not my truck
Old 12-26-2008, 03:55 PM

There is a TSB that directs the shop to install a filter on the power steering fluid if you have specific hydroboost problems. So it seems that there are occasional issues with power steering fluid quality. There is even an aftermarket filter you can install (very much like the one Ford would put on temporarily for the TSB).

That being said, I sure haven't read about very many problems with fluid quality - maybe one or two in a couple of years across multiple forums. The power steering fluid does not absorb water like brake fluid and does not get dirty and use up the additives like a lubricating oil.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Here is the TSB (07-11-10):

ISSUE:
Some 1999-2008 F-Super Duty, 2000-2005 Excursion, and 1997-2007 E-Series vehicles equipped with Hyrdo-BoostŪ brake booster system may exhibit a brake pedal kickback and/or grabbing condition when applying the brakes. This may be caused by contamination within the power steering system.

ACTION:
Filter the power steering fluid by installing a temporary filter in the power steering system. Refer to the Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify that the line from the pump and the line to the gear at the Hydro-BoostŪ are in their correct orientation (and not crossed). The passenger side goes to the pump, the driver side goes to the gear.
Attach a pinch-off clamp to the lower power steering hose approximately 6" (15 cm) from the lower port of the power steering cooler to keep fluid from emptying out of the system when the hose is disconnected.
Disconnect the power steering hose from the lower port on the cooler. Cap the cooler port to minimize fluid leakage and immediately install the temporary filter in line with the power steering hose using hose clamps to retain the filter (the filter needs to go in the low pressure line that goes from gear to cooler to reservoir, where it would be most accessible).
Attach the other end of the filter to the cooler using the clamps provided.
Remove the pinch-off clamp from the power steering hose.
FILTERING PROCEDURE

CAUTION: BE SURE THAT THE PARKING BRAKE IS APPLIED DURING THE FOLLOWING STEPS 1-7.

Check power steering fluid level before starting the vehicle.
Start the vehicle and allow it to idle for approximately 15 seconds.
NOTE: DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING AT LOCK FOR MORE THAN 5 SECONDS.

Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 10 times.
Pump service brake pedal hard to floor 25 times.
Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock 5 times.
Remove the filter and reconnect the power steering line to the cooler. Discard the filter. Fill the power steering system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 211-00 Power Steering System Filling.
With the engine at idle, gradually apply the brake pedal until fully applied. If the brake pedal kickback persists, replace the Hydro-BoostŪ brake booster. Refer to WSM, Section 206-07.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
XC3Z-7B155-BA Power Steering Fluid Filter Asy
5C7Z-2005-B Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 1999-2004 F-Super Duty / 2000-2005 Excursion
6C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 2005-2007 F-Super Duty
7C3Z-2005-AA Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 2008 F-Super Duty
F7UZ-2005-AA Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 1997-1998 E-Series
XC2Z-2005-AA Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 1999-2001 E-Series
6C2Z-2005-AB Hydro-BoostŪ Asy - 2002-2007 E-Seres
Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Interesting stuff. Well I'm not having any trouble and maybe changing the fluid is not needed, but what's a quart of fluid cost, $6.00? I just remember having noise and dead spots in the power steering of other vehicles I've had when getting some miles/age on them. When I saw this maint. recommendation in the aftermarket service manual I thought it might be a good idea. My last truck, a Dodge, started acting funny around 60,000 miles. A local auto parts shop recommended changing out the fluid to a synthetic power steering fluid and conditioner he had. The power steering acted like new when I serviced it with the product he recommended. So, seemed like it couldn't hurt to stay ahead of the game with a simple fluid change, maybe over to synthetic since most of the units start by making noise and whining in the cold weather.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:57 PM

A filter huh? I like filters!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:01 PM

By the way, does anybody have a synthetic recommendation to use in place of the mercon atf or should I just stay with the oem mercon atf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.