2003 6.0...what to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0...what to do?

I am looking for a little help on what to do. I have a 2003 6.0 CC 4x4 with 37K on it (build 5/03), absolutely bone stock. No troubles as of yet, but I'm nearing the end of the warranty period and have been thinking about a new truck since the deals are pretty good right now and some 6.0's can be a bit temperamental. I am just having a really hard time justifying a new rig since mine has such low mileage, but I am also contemplating having to shoulder the 6.0 repairs should they start to happen.

There are quite a few options, such as buy new (dare I say DMax?), buy a newer-but-used model (with warranty), sit tight and do nothing (and hope for the best). I can afford a new truck, but really don't want to spend the $$ if it isn't necessary. One line of thought would be that the $$ difference between the two would support a lot of repairs. Another would be that if the 6.0 goes, or has a high ticket repair, that $$ could have been used to go towards a new rig.

I am pretty much a cheap-skate by nature, but I also have little patience for high maintenance things. A paradox...I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I have a 2004 model, but an early 2004 so it might as well be a 2003.. i had all my problems while stock tuned... now i am modded lightly, and have zero issues.... but i am also almost out of warranty.. i am going to stick with my truck, as it will be paid for soon.... i say keep it, pocket the money, and repair as necessary... the extra $$$$ will be nice!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
I'd stick with what you have, you say it only has 37k miles, thats nothing, you have a lot of life left on it and as long as you dont beat it, should be fine.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Sparkplugs Not Required

I'd say save your money and keep it. You can buy a hell of an extended warranty for $1500-$2000, or you could stud it and delete the EGR system and have no worries. I think you'll have other headaches if you trade in on a new one with all the new emmissions crap.........plus you'll spend a heck of a lot more.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you could get a new ford and get the dpf delete and 500+ hp
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT797 View Post
I'd say save your money and keep it. You can buy a hell of an extended warranty for $1500-$2000, or you could stud it and delete the EGR system and have no worries. I think you'll have other headaches if you trade in on a new one with all the new emmissions crap.........plus you'll spend a heck of a lot more.
I agree ^^^

keep your truck,
go ahead and install studs and a EGR delete, that way you eliminate the weak spots in the 6.0 before it ever gives you any trouble.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much for head studs and EGR delete?

Just out of curiosity, how much is a head stud job? Can you get a shop to do the EGR delete? I am a complete novice at mechanical stuff (oil changes, fuel filters, tinker with my motorcycle a bit), so this would have to be done by a shop.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
where are you located??? maybe one of our techs are close and would be willing to hook you up!
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to Fireman5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much is a head stud job? Can you get a shop to do the EGR delete? I am a complete novice at mechanical stuff (oil changes, fuel filters, tinker with my motorcycle a bit), so this would have to be done by a shop.
Where are you located? If it were me in your shoes...I'd keep the truck, and do the EGR delete, head studs, and keep the other $40,000 you would be spending on a new truck for future repairs, mods. That's just my opinion.

I also recommend having someone install an 04 front engine cover and water pump because the 03 had a plastic impeller that will break (which left me setting twice) and the 04 has a metal impeller, which has ran well for a long time now on mine

Last edited by Fireman5606; 12-24-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

you should fill out your sig and location atuff.. that way we can help you out better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.