Thinking about going from a 7.3 to 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about going from a 7.3 to 6.0?

I want to make more power than my 7.3 ever could so i figured a 6.0 is the easiest way. I just dont want to walking into nothing but problems with a 6.0. I know they have head gasket problems. But if I headstud it the motor and block off the egr and custom tune it for the most power I shouldnt have anymore motor problem. I just want some input before I sell my truck and wish I still had my 7.3 cause my 6.0 is driveway with a blown motor I dont want to waste my time. Just let me know the problems with them, what to look for when buying them, and what to do to make the truck hold together. Also how are the transmissions stock with just a tuner do they hold up or are they junk like my 4r100. And whats up with the 03 turbo swaps on the newer trucks for?

Last edited by Chadahootchie; 12-24-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm not heavily modded, but others on here are. They all have studs, and have deleted the EGR. I'm pretty sure that truck will be bulletproof and you can make them fast as he!!.

Be sure to post pics when you pick one up
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 AM

I will post some pics but first I got to sell my truck. My family has a used car lot and we get a lot of fleet vans and trucks, lately we been getting 6.0s pretty cheap but they are only xl models.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:19 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'd be kind of concerned about a fleet vehicle. Usually those people beat on those trucks because they aren't theirs, but I'm sure there are people that do take care of them. I'm just saying look it over well, and get an Oasis report before you buy. There is a guy on here that bought a 6.0 from his company with like 190k on it. He said it had all kinds of issues while it was a "work" truck, but after he got it and did the required maintenance, the truck runs great. There will be other to chime in that will tell you what to look for on these trucks.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Ole White

If you have enough green to through at it the 7.3 will make more power and be faster after all thats whats in the Worlds Fastest Powerstroke
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 AM

Yea I just dont have the money to put into the ole 7.3 wish I could. As for the fleet trucks you can tell which one are turds. We got one with 72--- miles and It was well taking care of runs great. We got a other with 117 on it and my moms chipped 7.3 would woop its ***. I can deffintly tell which trucks are good ones.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I have hammered 106k miles out of my 6.0...with no issues to speak of...i have factory head bolts and have had no issues with gaskets.
Only a handfull of 6.0s had issues and thousands of others have had none.
The majority of issues are driver induced, they will go faster so people push them farther and they can break just like anything that you push too hard.
Get one and be happy.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation 7.3 to Chatahooch

As I have made the decision earlier last year to rid myself of my 99.5 dually, 7.3 in lieu of a newer 04' 6.0 both 350's. Couple of things I can tell you in the difference I have noticed and am stuck with. Read all the problems with the EGR's ( common and probably the causes for the following items I will mention)
1st - Less fuel economy in the 6.0 vs 7.3 (both stock) of course in the 7.3 always have an extry CPS in the glovebox. The way I drove 65 Mpg, I got almost 24 Mpg in the 7.3 tops 25. In the 6.0, the best I can get at 65 is 15 Mpg. Could make a difference come Summertime!!
EGR - Always will be in your mind on the 6.0, haven't yet performed the delete but very close to doing it because I have replaced the original and cleaned it many times because of issues. That bugger gets real dirty often, so cleaning it is in my maintenance sched.

I really just "Felt" that I had more power as well as reliability with the 7.3 and wish I would have kept the motor!!!
Still with the Great Fords, but a lil' happier with the older truck in the days of no EGR.

Read the posts and the answers to them--

---Worm your way through to see who is abusing their truck for the problems they have and those of them who ask their truck to work for them and then something goes bad.

---Ford Diesel's still performing very well...Time will tell..... Hope you make the right choice for you in keep or swap.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:17 AM

stud and egr delete will eliminate 2 possible future issues if you are custom tuning your 6.0. the trannys are great, not many people have problems at all. the torqueshifts in 6.0s actually hold up better than the allison w/ a tuner
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 AM

A tuned 6.0 will be faster than a decently modded 7.3 The 6.0 has its problems for sure, but the thing is a few minutes of searchign on here will tell you what they are and how to fix them if you have the time/money. EGR cooler delete, and ARP headstuds and the 6.0 is a very reliable motor even tuned. The 5R110 is a Great transmission and probably the best out of the dodge/chevy/fords now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.