Lets talk 6.0, looking to upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lets talk 6.0, looking to upgrade

So I think I have greved enough, and its time to move onto something....well I wont say bigger, because I am not going to lift the next one, but would say better. Starting all over.......Killed Myself
I am glad that I dont need to make a jump right away because my father is loaning me my old 95 OBS for a few months, but I am in the market for a new truck.

My thoughts are, have done an OBS, 00'7.3 now is my time to move to a 6.0.
The next truck is going to be another Vegistroke.
So what I see is yes the 6.0 has some issues, but all since have been adressed, the 6.0 power per dollar is alot cheaper than the 7.3. dont get me wrong i loved my 00 but I am looking down the road here to what I may like more.
An SCT with custom tunes, is going to be as good if not beyond, a 7.3 with stage 2 injectors?

So this is what I would like to know:
Known 6.0 problems that I seen are HEAD STUDS, EGR, TURBO OIL LEAKS.
what others have people seen that I should pay attention to?

Next is trans, is it safe to say that the torqueshift 5spd is more reliable and able to take more power than the 4r100 (not sure if thats right? 7.3 auto...)

What particular years are good/bad for what reasons?
On craigslist and ebay I have seen 03-04s with less than 100k going for 11.5-15 and 05-06 anywhere from 14.5-26K so I am targeting myself in the 04-06 range for what I am looking to spend.

As far as truck changes in 05 they changed the front end style, coil front, and did they also change wheel bolt pattern? I have 16X9 wheels, 8X100 pattern so want to know if I am going to keep them or sell off. I will add stuff in as it goes but whats everyones thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good luck in your search there are lots of good 6.0's out there to be had.

As far as your wheels go, the bolt pattern is the same, however the backspacing on a '05 and up is greater. Also I don't believe the 16's will clear the front brake calipers.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
An SCT with custom tunes, is going to be as good if not beyond, a 7.3 with stage 2 injectors?

So this is what I would like to know:
Known 6.0 problems that I seen are HEAD STUDS, EGR, TURBO OIL LEAKS.
what others have people seen that I should pay attention to?
I think that pretty much covers it, plus the EGR coolers like to blow out in the early year 6.0's

Quote:
Next is trans, is it safe to say that the torqueshift 5spd is more reliable and able to take more power than the 4r100 (not sure if thats right? 7.3 auto...)
The Torqueshift is said to be the strongest "stock" diesel tranny you can get. I hear that it can support up to 500 RWHP. The shifting is awesome, as well as the two/haul mode for pulling.

Quote:
What particular years are good/bad for what reasons?
On craigslist and ebay I have seen 03-04s with less than 100k going for 11.5-15 and 05-06 anywhere from 14.5-26K so I am targeting myself in the 04-06 range for what I am looking to spend.
I like the turning radius on my 06 versus the earlier leaf sprung ones, and the ride is awesome after you remedy the bump steer issue many are plagued with (like mine).

Quote:
As far as truck changes in 05 they changed the front end style, coil front, and did they also change wheel bolt pattern? I have 16X9 wheels, 8X100 pattern so want to know if I am going to keep them or sell off. I will add stuff in as it goes but whats everyones thoughts?
16's won't fit the newer trucks 03-07. The bolts pattern in different from your 00 to the 03-07, and like breuer69 the back spacing is different from the 03-04 to the 05-07. Good luck with your search, your going to love that 6.0 with a custom tuned SCT from Innovative, and some exhaust, your going to think your 7.3 was a dog
Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Good stuff this is what I am looking for. Are there 03s the year with head studs or is it all years, and will just have to consider it if I am going to go beyond a hot tune?

Early years blow EGR cooler? Does the EGR delete need to be done before you blow the cooler, or will the delete fix a blown one?

What exactly is an OASIS? Is it bascially a Dealer Carfax to see what warranty work has been done, and what does one need just the VIN?

Last edited by AFBLUE; 12-23-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Are there 03s the year with head studs or is it all years, and will just have to consider it if I am going to go beyond a hot tune?
All years will need studs if your going to run a hot tune, nos, propane, water/meth etc. Basically if your going work your truck hard, you should consider them. Some trucks will do fine with a programmer, and some won't. I would say don't fix it, until you need to (it's not a cheap project).

Quote:
Early years blow EGR cooler? Does the EGR delete need to be done before you blow the cooler, or will the delete fix a blown one?
I think that they all run the risk of blowing them out. Yes a delete will fix a blown one, and prevent it from ever happening again

Quote:
What exactly is an OASIS? Is it bascially a Dealer Carfax to see what warranty work has been done, and what does one need just the VIN?
An Oasis is a report that will show any time the truck was at the dealership for any repairs, and what was done to remedy the issue. Like a Carfax for repairs. It may show more but that's all I know of it. I'm pretty sure the VIN is all that's needed to get an Oasis.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

This is all great I will probably have a truck ready when I get back to Texas!!!

Am I right that 05 is when they went to a coil front?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would stick with the 05 and up since i heard they made motor changes in 05 (not sure but thats what i read somewhere) also i dont believe the 6.0's like veggie systems. i heard it clogs injectors and such. the 03's are the years to be iffy about. some very bad and some very good. but the ride of the front coils is alot better than leafs. a good tuned 6.0 with a sct will put a smile on your face from ear to ear everytime.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Am I right that 05 is when they went to a coil front?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
i would stick with the 05 and up since i heard they made motor changes in 05 (not sure but thats what i read somewhere) also i dont believe the 6.0's like veggie systems. i heard it clogs injectors and such. the 03's are the years to be iffy about. some very bad and some very good. but the ride of the front coils is alot better than leafs. a good tuned 6.0 with a sct will put a smile on your face from ear to ear everytime.
This new truck is going to eat veggie and like it, thats the reason I drive such a big A$% truck, its not for my ego....well maybe a little.
I figured that I would skip the 03s and 05+ would be nice for the new front end, and coils, it looks like I can fit 35s with a leveling kit, and stay a little closer to the ground.

What PSI does a 6.0 with a tune push? I have a feeling my 30 psi issopro isnt going to cut it....
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
05 and up they changed the head bolts and torque specs for them IIRC. The 6.0's will burn vegi just fine as long as its clean. A hot tune will pretty much max out a 30psi boost gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.