Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Block Heater ?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Clay Henry 
#1 ·
How cold does it get before you plug them in and how long can you leave them pluged it. It is 9 degrees here

#6 ·
There is no minimum time for leaving it plugged in. mines on a timer for 2 hours and heats my water to around 110 when its about 30 outside. If its colder than that, i still see water temps of 90 upon startup after 2 hours heating. If you only leave it on 1 hours you will still see it starts easier but 2 hours is better. You can leae it plugged in over night but your electric bill will reflect this.
Theres no magic number to start plugging it in at, its kinda pointless at 40* and 30* you will see your heater warms faster but the truck probably doesn't have a hard time starting at 30 so as stated, 20 degrees you will see the benifits of the heater when you start it.

#3 ·
Well My 550 wouldnt start yesterday and it was 8 so i would say above that.

#4 ·
usually anything below freezing I use my block heater.
I just bought a programmable timer @ walmart.
works good, just set it to come on a few hours before you head out. I didn't like leaving it plugged in all night.

#7 ·
never thought of the programable timer. I will have to give it a try. Thanks for all the info

#8 ·
If I start plugging it lets say below 20* and i go to work and am there for 12hours and it gets below 10* will i any trouble starting it do to the fact i have been plugging it when it get this cold. I dont have a way to plug it in @ work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.