Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Would I be stupid to buy a 6.0 for an 03 turbo?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Powerstroke W/smoke 
#1 ·
i'm serious, lol. I absolutely love the 03 turbo sound. It sounds like a jet. I've done everything I can think of to my 02 7.3 and it still can't compare. I've taken off the aluminum foil, got an AFE Stage 1 intake, took off the hood insulation thing, did the ZooDad Air Mod (or w/e it's called), added a WW, and it's chipped if that helps anything.

I'm saving up for a 2005-2007 F250 short bed truck. I could probably get a 2008, but I don't want big payments. I'm looking to spend no more than 22k for a truck (on the 05-07's at least). I'd really like to spend no more than 20k if possible. I don't plan on trying to make it super fast; I'd go for an 08 if I was doing that with a Spartan. All I really care for is looks and whistle, while getting an upgrade at the same time from my 02 7.3L. I'd probably chip it, exhaust, intake, and throw an 03 turbo in it; if there is anything else that'd help the whistle I'd do that too, but that'd be it.

I suppose I could save more by buying an 03 or 04 6.0, but I want the updated look at least. What you guys think?

#2 ·
I think you should keep the 7.3, but you willl never be able to replicate the variable vain turbo sound. I think a little engine sound like what we get from our 7.3s is cool, but mine whistles louder than 90% of 6 leakers out there. Not as "airy" sounding tho. 6 leakers sound like a 7.3 with the EBPV stuck. lol.

#9 ·
I'm not sure whether to be offended or just laugh at the all the ignorance in this statement. :hehe:

I've had two 7.3's and now I have a 6.0. You can't go wrong either way since there are advantages to both. I'd defintately advise you to stay away from the 2003 models though. They had more problems than the other years of 6.0's, especially the early year models.

#3 ·
I think you should get and do whatever you want. your the only one you have to answer too. and the 6.0s are awesome motors.

#4 ·
Get an oasis on any 6.0 and if its good take it.. You can always do the 05+ front end swap... You will love the power of an SCT tuned 6.0!!!!!!

#5 ·
i almost bought a 7.3 and then got my 6.0..both were 03 trucks..didnt know the difference till i started searching..i love my truck..im super happy with it, but if it was my DD or i traveled or towed alot then i would want the 7.3. even just its longevity is awesome too

#7 ·
lostrocket, do you have a front end picture...?

#8 ·
if you settle for a 03 6oh just remember if you decide to tune it, your going to have problems. basically your going to need to do studs. possibly swap out a composit hpop that tended to wear out quickly sending metal shavings thru the fuel system. if you put too much fuel to them without turbo upgrades you can possibly crack one of the tiny exhaust valves, etc... Go to youtube and type in 7.3 vs 6.0. there is a series of vids on there from some powerstroke guru and he basically rips appart the 6oh as far as reliability and longevity. they run like a son of a botch tho. that is for darn sure. much much faster. But, 03 was the first year the 6oh came out, and 03 6ohs are what caused Ford to end its relationship with International due to pending lawsuits. Try for a 05. then you will be fine.

#10 ·
The thing I don't like about my truck is its a CC dually. I don't do much towing anymore, so I have no need for a 'big' truck. I want something smaller with a shorter bed. This would primarily be my DD. I'd probably keep the 7.3L as it has been flawless for me with 147k miles and they'd probably offer me next to nothing for it also. I want to be able to lift it up some with some 22's or 24's. I know I could always throw some semi tires on my truck now, but I hate buying 6 tires, lol. I'm saving to pay it off in cash, which I'll have enough money next year. I have been killing myself with keeping my monthly payments as low as I can to save all the money I can this year. I think it'll be worth it when I have a truck and no payments on it. I was going to buy one this year, but I ended up buying a mobile home with 1/4 acre land for $18k; I put $5k into this place and it's actually decent. It beat paying $722 a month for an apartment, and I own this place with the land. I think I did the smart move there. I still want a truck though, lol. This is still a good 1/2 year away as I have to buy the GF an engagement ring first, haha.

#12 ·
I also think you should buy what you want! But, the 03's and early 04's did have a lot of growing pains. You could buy a late 04 or newer and put the 03 turbo? Then you would have the better 6.0 and the better turbo!

#14 ·
I owned an 01 7.3 that was stolen so i went with an 06 6.0 with 8k miles. It went through 2 turbos and a motor because of egr, turbo, and headstud related issues, and this was BEFORE i had any mods lol. now i'm buying another 01 7.3. they made a lot of changes and upgrades to the 6.0, but i just dont think they were ready for all of the EPA B.S. that had to go into it. I do love that whistle of a 6.0 though lol, and not to mention all of the cool interior changes. good luck on whatever you get and don't forget you can always convert that front end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.