All the info about 6.0 worries me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All the info about 6.0 worries me

The more i read at the 6.0 the more worried i get. I bought a 2005 with 100k on it. Will i see 200k? 300k? without spending $20k? Sometime all this info can be a bad thing, everytime i turn the courner i think.... Every time i hit the gas, will the headgaskets hold?

Before i bought this truck ( i have been wanting one for YEARS!!!) i did a little internet search, i read for 20 minutes and the right side of my brain said to not buy one. Good thing i listen to the left side. I love this truck but do worry a little. I guess as long as i have some $$$ in the bank, all can be fixed.

What percent of trucks have problems?
percent wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The 03's and early 04's were more prone to hg failure. 05 and up are alot less prone. The best thing you can do to insure that you head gaskets wont fail is not dog on it all the time
Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
lifetime member

my january of 03 never had gasket failure.it has been tuned all of its life and i run the crap out of it. i had it studded right before the warranty went out.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hear ya bud. It's scary stuff if you don't want to spend all the big bucks on studs, EGR deletes and programmers. My '07's at 18k, no issues yet. I think a lot of it has to do with how hard you drive the truck. Only thing I want to do is rid the EGR, but want to keep the stock program. Haven't figured it out yet.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I didnt see. do you have any mods on your rig? do you do alot of hauling? If you have a stock truck you are less prone to problems. Im on my 2nd 6.0 and I like these motors. My 1st truck burned up in a fire and had 120k on the ticker with no problems. Shure there are some bad eggs. but no motor is imperveous to problems. Its just the 6.0 problems get alot of air time.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:42 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The 03's and early 04's were more prone to hg failure. 05 and up are alot less prone. The best thing you can do to insure that you head gaskets wont fail is not dog on it all the time
I agree 100% but I have seen trucks that are totally stock have issues. The Granny has gone thru a few set of heads and gaskets, but then again, she has not had the easiest of lives. She has been beat on a couple of times! But I wouldn't trade her, I got to much invested in our relationship at this point. I have heard of trucks having lots of issues and then again, I have heard of some having none.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Serving Our Country!

I wouldn't be worried man...I have had two 6 liters, both 05's and I love them. I was in the same boat as you when i bought my first one as I was somewhat concerned with these engine's notorious problems. Part of my theory on it is this (and its just my opinion) but I lived in texas where there are tons of diesel trucks used as work trucks with all the ranchs down there. I would say I saw about twice as many 6.0 liters on the roads as other diesel trucks combined...and I would try to talk to as many people driving these trucks stock as work trucks to find out if they ever had any puking issues, etc. and most every 'random' 6.0L driver had never had a problem of any sort. I think like as stated before when these trucks get heavily modded they are certainly more prone to problems but that should be expected from anything. This last truck I bought with just over 100k out of warranty if that tells you anything about how concerned I am....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.