will my using Hypertech programmer put my head studs at risk? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
will my using Hypertech programmer put my head studs at risk?

Hi Guys,

I have an '07 6.0 powerstroke. I've put the Banks High Ram intake and cold air intake on it and a MBRP cat delete exhaust on it. I have a Hypertech power programmer as well. I was running with stage 3 installed and the power and torque was awesome. But since I've found this site, I've become worried about being stranded somewhere with stretched head studs so I've programmed back to stock. It still has power and torque but I miss the G's putting me back in my seat. Am I worried about nothing? Am I safe at any level of programming?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you dont have guages its hard to tell. Usually though Banks, superchips and hypetech our safer and dont get as hot as a custom tune will. I ran a canned sct tune the other day and the hottest it got was 1300 under WOT. I doubt it will give you any problem seeing that these trucks usually stay around 800 degress at 75-80mph on the highway tuned and in stock form.You never know though every trucks diffrent
Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The hypertech should be fairly safe as it doesnt make near the power as a custom tune does. Just keep an eye on your gauges and you should be fine
Old 12-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to 06KingRanch6.0L Send a message via Yahoo to 06KingRanch6.0L
i am running the hypertech and it runs great! if you have gauges you'll be ok! if not you can still use it just don't tow with it and dont run more than a 1/4 WOT in stage 3, but i run it all the time and it works great!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are you guys referring to EGT guages? WOT=Wide Open Throttle?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Thats correct. If you want a power comparison between SCT and hypertech i will give you one.

My Father in law and I both have 06 extended cab 4x4s. Identical in drivetrain options. His hypertech on level 3 feels like my SCT in my heavy tow tune. My Tow tune is rated at about 40 hp
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 06KingRanch6.0L Send a message via Yahoo to 06KingRanch6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Thats correct. If you want a power comparison between SCT and hypertech i will give you one.

My Father in law and I both have 06 extended cab 4x4s. Identical in drivetrain options. His hypertech on level 3 feels like my SCT in my heavy tow tune. My Tow tune is rated at about 40 hp
haha! thats funny
my comparison is my truck with what i have in my sig vs my buddys truck the same 06 cc sb but has a veg stroke system and 35's and sct race in the 1/4 mile
i ran a 14.9 my buddy ran a 15.0
that is a 5800 ft in altitude here in Colorado
lol but i can some what keep up with him when my buddy has stock tires!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 PM

In reality there is not a whole lot of difference in any of the top tuners. They are all increasing the turbo, fuel and timing. I have no idea how "de-tuned" these 6.0 motors are but the programers are all basicly the same. I have owned a 1987 Buick grand national for almost 20 years. Back in the day you just ordered any chip you were brave enough to install. Sure you can go fast but for how long? Programmers for the 6.0 are just the same. You could bump the boost to 23-24 psi with 116 octane in the tank and run in the 11's or you could spend 2500 dollars, or 5ooo dollars or more and be a little safer. All of these programmer companies feel they put out a good product, they all think they have addressed all the issues. There are many ways to get to the same place.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mins View Post
In reality there is not a whole lot of difference in any of the top tuners. They are all increasing the turbo, fuel and timing. I have no idea how "de-tuned" these 6.0 motors are but the programers are all basicly the same. I have owned a 1987 Buick grand national for almost 20 years. Back in the day you just ordered any chip you were brave enough to install. Sure you can go fast but for how long? Programmers for the 6.0 are just the same. You could bump the boost to 23-24 psi with 116 octane in the tank and run in the 11's or you could spend 2500 dollars, or 5ooo dollars or more and be a little safer. All of these programmer companies feel they put out a good product, they all think they have addressed all the issues. There are many ways to get to the same place.
That statement may be true for a gas engine. But is nowhere near true for a diesel engine. There is a major difference between generic tuners like hyptech and customer tuners like innovative diesel and the like. The custom tuners have much more access to engine parameters
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the replies. What is the max safe temp for EGT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.