Building a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Building a 6.0

We can all agree that the 6.0 isn't the best PSD but it has the potential to be a great PSD with some modifications. But what modifications will need to be done to make them have same reputation as a 7.3? I'm told that the bottom end is pretty strong so no worry's there but what about the top end? So far I can think of studs and complete EGR delete. But what about turbo and injectors? The stock turbo gets gumbed up and requires cleaning so would an Aurora 2000 or maybe a VGT-SS fix this problem? What about injectors? I have no knowledge on that. Also too something needs to be done with the oil cooler. Reason I'm bringing this up is because my brothers 03 6.0 is sick and while I was at Ford I saw a long block 7.3 sitting in the shop and after comparing it to a 6.0 there is less chit on the 7.3. And thats were I think the 6.0 problems start with all of the extra chit on the motor. I didn't even compare the 7.3 to the 6.4. Theres just to much chit on the 6.4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Blowin Smoke

Being that the factory turbo on the 6.0L is awesome, I wouldn't worry about upgrading it unless your going for crazy power and have plenty of $$$. The problem with the turbos getting gummed up would go away once you delete the EGR system. I've also heard from a Ford Tech that the majority of blown head gasket claims are actually blown EGR coolers that people mis-diagnose. The injectors seem to all have a problem with # 3, 5, and 7, but are easy to replace and are then good for another 150k miles. All-in-all I'm well pleases with my 6.0 compared to my 7.3L now that it's chipped, straight piped, and the EGR is deleted.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic355 View Post
Being that the factory turbo on the 6.0L is awesome, I wouldn't worry about upgrading it unless your going for crazy power and have plenty of $$$. The problem with the turbos getting gummed up would go away once you delete the EGR system. I've also heard from a Ford Tech that the majority of blown head gasket claims are actually blown EGR coolers that people mis-diagnose. The injectors seem to all have a problem with # 3, 5, and 7, but are easy to replace and are then good for another 150k miles. All-in-all I'm well pleases with my 6.0 compared to my 7.3L now that it's chipped, straight piped, and the EGR is deleted.
Thing is when the EGR cooler breaks it's do to another factor. Something like a plugged oil cooler or blown HG's. My brothers HG's blew but his EGR is fine with 85K miles on it. My EGR cooler went because the oil cooler plugged and there wasn't enough coolant flow to the EGR cooler.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would just say stud it and delete the EGR, if you want to go the extra mile put a fuel system, a bypass oil filter and an external oil cooler. The turbo is good for stock injectors, but u just need to go wide open once in a while to clean it out. When you baby it all day is when build up happens......for the most part. As for the injectors you shouldnt have problems with them changing your filters regularly and changing your oil..........for the most par.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

psd

well we got everything you would ever want in a bad *ss 6.0.
first coated bearings,connecting rods,moly rings,racing heads with fire rings high rev springs,H-11 studs
racing injectors,big hpop,cnc low pressure oil pump,k-31 or a aurora 5000 or compounds.moded up pipes,viton c o-rings,egr delete,oil cooler bypass,custom tuning or live tuning,and a BTS or John.W trans and some gears.this should be a good built motor.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin hawaiian View Post
first coated bearings,connecting rods,moly rings,racing heads with fire rings high rev springs,H-11 studs
racing injectors,big hpop,cnc low pressure oil pump,k-31 or a aurora 5000 or compounds.moded up pipes,viton c o-rings,egr delete,oil cooler bypass,custom tuning or live tuning,and a BTS or John.W trans and some gears.this should be a good built motor.
What can JW do tranny wise?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys were did you get that oil cooler. Im trying to make my own bypass, any sugestions on how to tap into oil manifold and did the cooler make a big difference.When towing heavy im running about 275
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

External Auxiliary COOLANT filter

I've been reading and I hear that the leftover casting material in my block will eventually block my oil cooler and cause it to fail.

I am in the process of purchasing the egr cooler delete from first coast. Is the coolant filter a DIRE NECESSITY?

Should I save my pennies and buy something else for prevention purposes?

So far I have done the straight piping or the exhaust, CCV mod to a cannister from stealth automotive, soon to be EGR/Cooler delete, Old School SCT 1704 (which I love), AFE stage II (Those of you that say it leaks and does not filter as well as stock.....never ever ever ever had dirt in the tubes).

What else can you guys think of....for prevention purposes and longevity and trouble free maintenance?

Thank you
Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
We can all agree that the 6.0 isn't the best PSD but it has the potential to be a great PSD with some modifications. But what modifications will need to be done to make them have same reputation as a 7.3? I'm told that the bottom end is pretty strong so no worry's there but what about the top end? So far I can think of studs and complete EGR delete. But what about turbo and injectors? The stock turbo gets gumbed up and requires cleaning so would an Aurora 2000 or maybe a VGT-SS fix this problem? What about injectors? I have no knowledge on that. Also too something needs to be done with the oil cooler. Reason I'm bringing this up is because my brothers 03 6.0 is sick and while I was at Ford I saw a long block 7.3 sitting in the shop and after comparing it to a 6.0 there is less chit on the 7.3. And thats were I think the 6.0 problems start with all of the extra chit on the motor. I didn't even compare the 7.3 to the 6.4. Theres just to much chit on the 6.4.
You can thank all the hippies and the EPA for all the extra stuff, one word, emissions.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin hawaiian View Post
I just looked at your website...you guys can build one SERIOUS powerstroke...where are yall' located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.