6.0 puked with studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 puked with studs

What would cause a 6.0 to puke that has studs? Mine puked really good. Sprayed the top of the motor, ABS system, fuse box, firewall, and I think the drivers side mirror. Degas bottle is dry. I still have an EGR cooler but it's blocked off. I was towing a couple of weeks ago but what part of the 6.0 system would cause that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baller1771
Im not 100% positive but I think you can still have problems even with the block off plate thats why everyone recommends to take it out completely.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Jon

!

Blown head gaskets. Studs are like condoms, Not a 100% guaruntee. Heads might have been out of spec or the block may have been out of spec when gaskets were put in. Gaskets puke, egr coolers blow out exhaust.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
one day at a time

Did you have the heads checked and/or milled when they were off? How good was your EGR cooler before as well? Could possibly be the oil cooler went. Hard to say. Who's tunes are you running and how heavy did you tow and with what kind of file?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Common Causes
  • EGR Cooler leaking
  • Oil Cooler plugged or leaking (which elevates oil temps AND prevents coolant flow to EGR cooler
  • Blown Head Gaskets from stretched TTY bolts, most likely from excessive CP (cylinder pressure)
  • Bad degas bottle cap (if you are puking coolant, you should replace the degas bottle cap after fixing the root problem).
  • Clogged Radiator (air side)
  • Thermostat
  • Some suspect a collapsed radiator hose
  • Coolant Temperature Sensor
  • Injector cup
  • Glow plug cup
  • Warped or cracked head
  • Water pump fins are split where they go around the shaft
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Blown head gaskets. Studs are like condoms, Not a 100% guaruntee. Heads might have been out of spec or the block may have been out of spec when gaskets were put in. Gaskets puke, egr coolers blow out exhaust.
Could high coolant pressure cause the puking? And if so how would it get that high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
Did you have the heads checked and/or milled when they were off? How good was your EGR cooler before as well? Could possibly be the oil cooler went. Hard to say. Who's tunes are you running and how heavy did you tow and with what kind of file?
Never milled the heads and I think they were within spec. EGR cooler was brand new when it got studded. I was running spartans 40hp tow tune for max vehicle GVWR and I was towing 7K lbs. One thing though is when ever there is a trailer hooked up to my truck 1K lbs. or 10K lbs. the engine fan is always on. And half the time it's screaming.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mine has puked once since i put the studs in.. I dont know why but here is a bump for more info..
Old 12-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Common Causes
  • EGR Cooler leaking
  • Oil Cooler plugged or leaking (which elevates oil temps AND prevents coolant flow to EGR cooler
  • Blown Head Gaskets from stretched TTY bolts, most likely from excessive CP (cylinder pressure)
  • Bad degas bottle cap (if you are puking coolant, you should replace the degas bottle cap after fixing the root problem).
  • Clogged Radiator (air side)
  • Thermostat
  • Some suspect a collapsed radiator hose
  • Coolant Temperature Sensor
  • Injector cup
  • Glow plug cup
  • Warped or cracked head
  • Water pump fins are split where they go around the shaft
I like this guys post. Thanks. I'll sniff the motor tomorrow to see if there are any diesel carbons in the cooling system.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Jon

!

High coolant pressure = Head gasket issue. I know several guys that have had studs put that still puke but its only under extreme load or pulling. Just one of those 1 in 100 things.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
High coolant pressure = Head gasket issue. I know several guys that have had studs put that still puke but its only under extreme load or pulling. Just one of those 1 in 100 things.
They puked and were fine? or puked and blew the HG's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.