Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

a bunch of odd issues

989 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Lilpooh 
#1 ·
ok here goes...
if I start the truck up cold it has power and seems to drive normal
but after driving for maybe 10 or 15 mins things get strange.
I have a scangaugeII hooked up
then after that one second it' pouring a ton of coal and no power no boost then a min later it's not boosting no smoke and no power

Also sometimes it's also dumping boost back smoke but still no power
Then on the same road it will have power and drive normal

where to start

#2 ·
What year motor, makes a difference in troubleshooting? What mods are done to the truck, makes troubleshooting easier than guessing?

Are you using proper name brand filters? What is the fuel psi?

Could be fuel issue, could be EGR valve issue, EBP issue, throttle body issue, ect, ect.

We need more info.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Verify that MAP, BARO, EP PIDs are within 1.5 PSI with Key On Engine Off (KOEO). If one of these are out of wack, may lead you in the right direction.

Check the VGT actuator plug/wire for damage, even check to see if the pins in the plug are seated tight. You can even monitor VGT% just to see if the % jumps around when truck acts up.

What is your FICMv when cranking, running, and when truck is having issue?

Check your plug/wire for damage to EBP, EGT, and MAP.

Being a late 04, you have a butterfly valve in the throttle body. This throttle body has a actuator motor to operate the butterfly valve, sometimes the motor fails or has issues. Most guys just remove the butterfly valve. You remove the intake elbow and you will see the butterfly valve, it's held in by two screws. Remove the two screws and slide out the butterfly valve.

#6 ·
Well yesterday I was in 1st gear and floored it.. it was building boost then all of a sudden it dropped down to 0 boost and the VGT went to 14 and would not move.

I did see yesterday it was moving around a lot driving down the highway.. and the boost was jumping up and down a lot also

#8 ·
well I found the problem it was the EBP tube was clogged all the way up.. took some work to clean it all the way out.. had a hard time cleaning it near the manifold so what I did is had the truck running and used a MAP gas torch to heat up the tube some and it melted away the clog down there.. better fuel mileage in a very long time. :icon_ford:

When I checked the MAP EBP and BARO everything looked good but the other day it decited to really build some boost and the EBP showed 44 PSI after litting off the fuel it stayed up at 44 and slowly started coming down.

I let the truck sit for about 30 mins and it was still showing about 30PSI

So this would be why when I 1st started driving it in the morning it had power until the EBP got to about 30 PSI then all power was gone..

Thanks guys.. just makes me think what else could be clogged

#9 ·
Thanks for posting the outcome, might help others with similar issue.

Reactions: bigblockdan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.