What to expect from block heater - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to expect from block heater

Last night I plugged my truck in for the first time (I live in N. FL so it really isn't necessary). It was about 30 last night, and I used a timer box to have the heater come on about 2.5 hours before I left for work. What should I expect for my temperatures on the truck to look like? I assumed that my temp gauge would rise very quickly. When I started the truck, the tranny temp gauge was slightly above C (although that doesn't mean much), and the engine temp gauge was pegged at the bottom. I let it idle for a few minutes and the gauges didn't move. It was 2 or 3 miles down the road before I got any gauge movement. Is this normal, or should the heater be doing more for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

Usually 3 to 4 hours is the minimum you should have the heater plugged in to see any effects. Then you'll notice the temp gauge will be a little bit higher than usual when starting and the truck will warm up pretty quick. You will have heat in the cab quicker also.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:35 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

That sounds normal. Keep in mind you just warming the block ect... not heating. I will still take a few miles/idle time to make heat. I only have mine plugged in for about 2 hours.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
i was curious about this also, as i just installed the cord but didn't notice a difference in the temp gauge rising, so i thought at first it wasn't working. However, i did notice that it starts a lot better. if you don't plug the truck in when you start it in 30 or below degree weather it will make a lot of noise, after its been plugged in all night it starts smoother and doesn't sound like the engine is coming apart anymore.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:43 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The sound difference between a true cold start and plugged in start is a world of difference. Since you are only heating the coolant in the block when plugged in, once the motor is started the water pump is moving the colder coolant. You will not see the temps rise too quickly if the outside temps are down low enough. Best thing is to give it maybe 5 mins after the first start before driving.

Last edited by HeavyAssault; 12-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't know nuttin....

this morning it was 50 degrees, BH plugged in on timer to come on 1.5 hours before i leave. My commander guage reads water temp and when i turned the key on, it said water temp was 120* I thought it was going to be colder than 50 otherwise i would not have had it plugged in but thats beside the point.
You should notice it starts easier....alot easier and if you have it plugged in 4 hours, you'll llikely see the temp needle rise just a little when you key on.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all the responses. It will be another week or so before it gets to 30 (gotta love Florida!). I'll give it a little more time on the timer and see what happens. I did notice that it started better this morning, although I don't seem to ever have trouble with it starting up.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i used mine yesterday morning for the first time, my gauge read 22* and only after an hour of being plugged in it was at 78*
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do all the 6.0's have the elements in place with just a cord needed or do I need the whole kit and kaboodle? It's been in the 20's here in Michigan and when I start her up you swear she's gonna blow apart.............Needless to say she runs like crap too. Especially when she shifts into overdrive, the truck shutters............
Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

most i have seen comes with a plug in the front bumper. a male plug tucked in by the front license plate/fog lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.