Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

curious about the temperature

5K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  hoofdoctor 
#1 ·
I did a search and most guys are saying they run around 180 to 195 coolant temp. I noticed today with normal driving on a 80 degree day my sct said i was running 209 degrees for coolant and like 204 engine oil temp is that too high ? I am nervous now? The truck had the head gasket , arp head studs and egr delete done over winter. I purchased the truck in december and had this work done in begining of february never had a chance to drive it on a warm day. i think the coolant temp may even have gotten up to 215 ish at one point. any help would be great. thanks in advance

#2 ·
Hmmm....that seems a little high to me. Need more info though. Could be a couple different things. What was the temp outside?
-Did you do a coolant flush before the work was done? (Get the Gold crap out.)
-Did they install a new thermostat? Could be sticking?
-Possibly water pump getting ready to go out?

Jeremy

#3 ·
My truck ran 199-210 today and the temp was 81 and I was totally empty. My truck has always ran on the hot side compared to what I read on here. Don't seem to be losing coolant but it so hard to get coolant level as it changes all the time. And when I open the degas bottle it has a lot of pressure. Im gonna run a pressure test on it and I'm a little nervous it may be the head gaskets. It seems you ran the same temps and you have new gaskets and studs. Dunno

#4 ·
By the way my truck is totally stock never had a tuner and never towed anything.basically a pavement queen with 107,000mi...

#5 ·
okay i did another run i think my tuner is messed up. because the factory gauges read dead center where they should be on the coolant temp as well as the oil temp. and the sct gauge was reading high numbers again 209 coolant temp and 205 engine oil. and the temperature outside was 74 degrees just now. since ive purchased the tuner it had issues with the screen flickering and the transmission slipping while doing normal driving. i also just noticed that when going through the gears it skips fourth gear and goes right from 3rd to 5th the quickly to 6th ? thats an innovative tune extreme street. also just noticed on this last run that after doing a hard pull from on ramp onto expressway and getting up to about 90mph then slowling coasting to slow down the truck banged into fourth gear from 6th. and the last thing i noticed when i pulled back into my driveway i decided to load the stock tune back into the truck just to eliminate some variables, and i took notice to the time it takes to change tunes is 10 mins no BS I timed it. I notice my friends with bully dog press one button and it changes within seconds ? last thing i noticed is that went putting the truck into reverse it would slip and hopp trying to back up?! I did a ton of research prior to purchasing this tuner and i would say over 80% of ppl reccomend the one i purchased live wire 5015 and it is only 3 three weeks old.So now the truck seems fine without the tuner hooked up.

#11 ·
First of all, it sounds like you need to get another copy of the tune or try a different one. That one may have gotten corrupted.

As far as the time it takes to tune the truck, there is a good reason for the difference. The SCT device actually re-programs the PCM, so it obviously takes some time to do this. I've never used a Bully Dog tuner, but from what I understand, they do not re-program the PCM. It "fools" the PCM into doing what it wants by intercepting the inputs and giving the the PCM bogus information. While this allows the tuning to be changed "on the fly" it also precludes some of the options that can be done with custom "flashed" tunes.

Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.

#6 ·
I would say your sct is correct. People on here say those gauges don't move til it's to late.....meaning the dummy gauges in the dash...

#8 ·
Sounds like something is wrong with your tune. I've had to reload tunes on my device because when I downloaded to truck the truck acted strange. Went back to stock all was fine. Reloaded programmer and reloaded to truck all was good. 74 degree day 190 t-stat coolest temp runs at 189-190 and oil is 193-194. Could also be stopped up radiator.

#10 ·
It looks to me like your either your coolant sender or your oil temp. sender are bad, what are your cold soak numbers like? I never see the oil temp colder than the water temp when the engine is warm unless the Tstat stuck and the water temp shot up before the oil could react, if that were the case the water would keep climbing and the engine would over heat. And while that was happening the oil would continue to heat. Keep in mind that the water is what is cooling the oil and it will never be 100% efficient......meaning the oil will never be the same temp as the water when the engine is under any kind of load. I would replace one or both of the senders first. You can change them around and see if it changes the temps but for what they cost if I was going to that trouble I'd just replace them.jmho

#12 ·
okay i talked with innovative today and they said it could take a while for the truck to learn the tune. Well the tune was in the truck for about two tank fulls. i removed the tuner and reloaded it to stock and now the truck is acting very strange i have to rev it a lot to get it to move at all almost like a centrifical clutch. Then once i get it rolling the truck bangs in and out of gear spuradically. I got home from work went to back into my parking spot and same thing i had to rev it up a good amount to get the trans or converter to grab and move the truck it felt as if the truck had a centirfical clutch once again. Anyone have any ideas. I went and purchased the premium warranty today as a back up plan if the trans is bad from the dealer i got it from.

#13 ·
Yeah, trans is toast. I'm don't know a lot about the 5r100, but unless they've changed a lot from the AODE's and EOD's, there's not a lot you can do except get it repaired or replaced. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe someone that knows the tranny's better will chime in.

#28 ·
Like Dave said, the factory gages are just basically switches and don't give any actual readings. You need to get a monitor and/or gages and find out where you are really at with temps.

Just curious though, did your oil temp do anything when your coolant jumped up? And do you have the correct coolant level?

#18 ·
Dont buy an ATS trans there are far better options. BTS, Warren Diesel, Elite or Twisted

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
Probably a thermostat Travis. But need a better way to monitor temps as the factory gauge is basically an idiot light

#21 ·
Probably a thermostat Travis. But need a better way to monitor temps as the factory gauge is basically an idiot light

Dave, probably not the t-stat as the t-stat fails open if it is OEM. OP I would see what your cold soak temps are and they should probably no more than 1-2 degrees difference and they should be somewhere around the ambient temperature depending on how long the truck sat.

Also you said your trans goes from 3d to 5th then 6th that is normal operation. 4th gear is only used in cold temps iirc less than 40 degrees. In addition if your truck is running fine when returned to stock; the tune that was written for it by innovative is defective. The truck will learn the tune very quickly (not two weeks later). Have Innovative rewrite the tune.

#22 ·
thanks dave for the heads up on the ats. And to answer your question about what tuner i have the livewire 5015. i am looking into transmissions now.Also curious where did you get those 343 emblems made. I am a firemen id love to get some of them made for my truck. They are going to replace the trans but i am trying to get them to credit the money towards an aftermarket trans and i will pay the difference. Do any of oyu guys know what a stock ford trans goes for installed in my truck. rough estimate.

#23 ·
Qholic i removed the tuner all together and now the truck doesnt want to move at all. Doing same thing as if the truck has a centrifical clutch. Have to rev it up to get it to move. A few people in my area that have the same truck told me that the clutches in the trans are problably burnt. I thought my truck was only a 5 speed ? not a six speed. it is a 2004.

#25 ·
Vinja, the 5R100 is a 6 speed transmission but as I previously said 4th gear is only used when it's really cold out; it's a safety feature.

Sucks if you have to replace/rebuild the trans. I don't know what you use your truck for so buy a transmission geared (pun intended) for whatever your usage is. Talk to some of the builders like Andy Warren or Brian at BTS they can reccomend the best setup for your usage.

#27 ·
Vinja, the 5R100 is a 6 speed transmission but as I previously said 4th gear is only used when it's really cold out; it's a safety feature.
The trans is basically two 3-speed hooked together and has 6 speeds but it never uses all 6 together. 4th and 5th gears are close in ratio 4th being .98:1 IIRC, and the true 1:1 ratio gear is 5th so under normal operating conditions/temps it shifts 1-2-3-5-6. It is actually easier for the trans to shift into 4th gear, so when the trans temp is cold (don't recall what temp) it uses 1-2-3-4-6 until the fluid reaches a certain temp.

#26 ·
okay cool thank you for all your help. i am leaning more towards twisted as they are closer to me since i live in southern NJ. I want the truck to just be reliable pull weight and handle some power. It will never be a full blown race truck but i would like to put down some good times in the 1/4. and i have a few horses and a car trailer to tow around.

#30 ·
sorry for the delayed response. I did indeed have the oil cooler replaced sorry. I also had the HPOP , blue spring, stand pipes, dummy plugs, new ficm, new turbo, new degas bottle, new degas cap, new ipr, new icp, arp head studs, factory ford head gaskets, xdp egr delete, ccv mod, one piece 4'' chromoly driveshaft, I am pretty sure i got everything that time. I am thinking the owner before me just didnt take care of the truck. I mean it only has 75k on it. I find it hard to believe that the sct tune wiped out the trans. I am sure there are people on here running innovatives xtreme tunes with stock transmission. Oh and the driving conditions were 80 degrees out and cruising around town. The temps went up to that while sitting at a red light, then once move started dropping back to around 200 ish. Ohh and i think the mechanic put in the factory ford coolant.

#33 ·
Did you happen to pop the hood and have a look at your coolant level? I've only heard of coolant temps going over the oil temps on three occasions. In each case it was happening at idle and the cause was low coolant. Do yourself a favor and check the level, but regardless, if it has Ford Gold Crap in it, flush and replace with the correct coolant.

I don't know about the tune possibly wiping out the trans, but ID's shifting is terrible. Every truck I've been in running ID tunes felt like the trans could fall out at any time.

#31 ·
#32 ·
Check the wire harness for your cooling fan. If thats cut it wont operate properly as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.