Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Eot ect delta, oil cooler time?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Doward 
#1 ·
So since I flushed the green coolant out of my truck a month ago I haven't been able to run the cruise test at op temp. Tonight the delta was ~20 cruising at 65.

When I got off the highway and was running at 45mph it came back down to 15. Typically in stop and go at op temp I am at about 8-9. Ect bounces from 188-192 but no higher.

So I am do for an oil cooler. If I go OEM how much am I looking at for parts? Also will have to flush the ec1 I just put in and do the restore and restore plus.

If I do Bpd I am in for 2k.

Can the labor be done in a weekend?

95% of my driving is stop go with 7 miles of highway mixed in each day. I bArely get to operating temp by the time I get to work and my delta is 8 or so. When does the damage occur? When I drive with a delta at plus 15 because the majority if the time i am under that with my short day to day driving.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Btw my coolant filter is always clean as can be.

It's probably because the oil cooler has trapped it all. I would do the the whole flushing routine, run the truck with distilled in it for a couple of days, flush again and then put the new oil cooler in.

#3 ·
If you can afford it change it; if not IMO you have time. 15 degrees is the max but it is not over. When you exceed that limit then you need to get it done and with your driving "profile" it may take quite a while.

sent from my Samsung S4

#4 ·
Funny thing is, it was done about 15k ago. Don't think they flushed it though because there was a ton of rust on the system when I did it.

If you click on my name you can see most everything has been done to the truck except egr delete because of emissions. I do have the upgraded one from sinister though. Looks like I am a victim of early clog die to the person before me not flushing.

#7 ·
I think when I switched from green to elc, the elc is cleaning some of the rust and clogged the cooler further?

How long/miles do you think I can drive before absolutely needing to replace?

#8 ·
Do you think I would have any luck flushing the oil cooler since it became more clogged after putting the elc after 7 flush n fills? Went from 12 degrees to 20

Anyone know the technique of draining the passenger side plug without removing starter?

#9 ·
I just did my coolant flush a couple days ago, I pulled the starter and installed a fumoto. It looks tough to get at otherwise, but the guy who made this video does it with some sort of modified tool and is able to leave the starter in place to do it. He mentions it in the video, maybe if you watch you can tell how he modified it to work.

#10 ·
The fact that your 20° delta came back down to 15° means the cooler is still flowing a little, and like Qholic said, 15° isn't the end of the world, but you are at 20° and closer. It does mean the oil cooler is partially clogged though and the worse it is "partially" clogged the quicker it will get to being completely plugged up and not flowing at all.

Even though you don't drive far and barely get up to temp in your normal commute, you definitely want to get the cooler changed. If I were you, I would do a flush with Restore and Restore Plus before changing the oil cooler. Let the old cooler catch anything that breaks loose during the flush. Since your coolant is fairly new, catch it in a clean container and if it comes out clean the re-use it.

A weekend should be no problem for this repair.

#14 ·
The fact that your 20° delta came back down to 15° means the cooler is still flowing a little, and like Qholic said, 15° isn't the end of the world, but you are at 20° and closer. It does mean the oil cooler is partially clogged though and the worse it is "partially" clogged the quicker it will get to being completely plugged up and not flowing at all.

Even though you don't drive far and barely get up to temp in your normal commute, you definitely want to get the cooler changed. If I were you, I would do a flush with Restore and Restore Plus before changing the oil cooler. Let the old cooler catch anything that breaks loose during the flush. Since your coolant is fairly new, catch it in a clean container and if it comes out clean the re-use it.

A weekend should be no problem for this repair.

What's the difference between restore and restore plus? Any possibility of back flush alleviating my problem?

#13 ·
#12 ·
Anyone have success with oil cooler backflush?

#16 ·
Do both clog post flush? I believe I have more of a rust issue than a goo so if I ran just restore + should I expect a more clogged cooler? I am going to back flush the cooler and see where that gets me

#17 ·
If you have a rust issue, use restore+ (or the slightly more expensive Ford VC-9).
If you are going to flush, I can not understand the hesitation to use both chemicals. Why go through the trouble and half-*** clean it? The rust is the single biggest problem, and what will clog your oil cooler the quickest.
The hard reality is that your reverse flush may or may not do a thing..or it may do so little that it may not be worth the effort. You might have to reverse flush it on multiple occasions to maintain your new found success (assuming it does something).
Try it. The worst that can happen is that you spent a few hours bonding with the engine in your ride...but if you are going to do it..do it right the first time.

#18 ·
If and when I replace the oil cooler, I am going to use both without a doubt.

I guess I haven't really seen an success stories of an oil cooler back flush. Anyone have a oil cooler back flush that has alleviated a clogged oil cooler for a significant period of time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.