Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil cooler bad?

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
Hey everyone first i want to say I've done the research but wanted to get a little more feedback. I have a 05 f250 cclb srw 6.0 studded deleted oil bypass filter and coolant filter running on SCT 5015 livewire extreme street tune. Anyway today was the warmest day we've had in a while around 60f. I just got on the highway an was driving about 20 min on cruise at 70 mpg SCT was at 188 eot was at 202 I noticed that and seemed kinda high for being unloaded so I adjusted my speed to 65 mpg drove for another 20 min and leveled off at ect 188 eot 199. Got off the highway and eot dropped back down to 194. So my question is should I be worried here? It had a coolant flush and was filled up with cat elc. 3000 miles ago. I haven't towed anything yet but the most I will tow in the foresee able future will be about 6k lbs.

#3 ·
When I did this run I was unloaded and on a flat highway I am just worried that when I do start to tow I go beyond tolerance. Also I have not seen my ect go above 188

#5 ·
Have you looked at your coolant filter in those 3000 miles? Any fish food?

#6 ·
Thank NYC f350 I will look it up ....and g8orford I have opened the filter up yet I will when I do my oil change looks like I'm gonna have to change the oil cooler before I start towing

#7 ·
Your deltas aren't "that" bad. A backflush of the oil cooler might help a bit since it hasn't been that long since the overall flush. Looks like you've got an EGR delete too so that's one thing you don't have to worry about.
I just put a new oil cooler in mine and I'm watching my deltas pretty close so I'll know if they start to creep up. When/if they do, I'll be backflushing again. Right now I'm at 4-6 degrees at a 65mph cruise.

#8 ·
Back flushing isn't something I've researched yet do you havelink to a thread ? I'm gonna start looking that up now

#10 ·
Didn't even see that there thanks

#11 ·
OK so brought the issue up with the shop they said they wanted to test the sensors and if that checked out they wanted to put a 195f thermostat in and see what its doing maybe that will bring the number a little closer together.

#12 ·
Uhmm, they only make a 195° thermostat for it...so you have one already.
You can check the sensors yourself the next time you get in the truck.
Before starting it, check the two temperature readings..if they are within a few degrees when the engine is cold, sensors are good.
Stop letting this shop drain your wallet for BS reasons.

#13 ·
Not all aftermarket tstats for the 6.0 are 195s. Most are 190s

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#14 ·
Even so, a 5°F difference in a thermostat is going to amount to a hill of beans.
Make sure your shop (if you do allow them to do anything, which at this point you shouldn't) gets a thermostat that fails open. You do not want to have the damn thing overheat when it fails to save 10 bucks. It isn't worth it.

He hasn't even retested his deltas properly yet and he is freaking out about reverse flushing, sensors and thermostats...

To the OP: Do the delta test the proper way..unloaded on flat ground. Forget the mentioning above of reverse flushing....forget running down to the shop and making an appointment to change the oil cooler...You do not have enough data.
Your info means nothing because you were towing at the time you checked your deltas.

#15 ·
Ahh crap. I misread my own replies above..
move along here, nothing to see..I'll eat my crow with some BBQ dippin' sauce..

Check your sensors yourself as described above. Seriously, you don't need a shop to do that.

#16 ·
Flat ground unloaded 55mph at operating temp is how to test the deltas. Just re read the OP. He wasnt towing at the time when he tested it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
NYC f 350, Dave thanks for the replies. As stated in the previous post I was not loaded. I was going 65 on flat ground for 30 min after engine had reached operating temp. The results were a 188-186 ect and a 199-200 eot. I have yet to see my coolant rise above 190f even on a 75 degree day. And don't worry I'm not paying the shop anything. Long story.... I did check the temps on the engine cold key on engine off after it sat for two days temps are with in 1 degree of each other. So I know its not the sensors that's just something they want to do on there end to make sure all steps have been covered system has already been flushed twice I forgot to mention that before my bad. So next is they want to put a 195 tstat in to see if a diff variation happens if there is still a spread after that than the oil cooler is coming out and being replaced on them.

#18 ·
Your thermostat is also good. The temp designation on them is for when they fully open. They start to open about 10°F sooner than that. Even with a new Motorcraft thermostat in my truck, my temp barely reaches what yours does. To get it there I have to drive for close to an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.