Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fixing large paint chip

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ford_Fan1 
#1 ·
I have one spot on my truck behind the rear passenger tire that has always had a paint chip-down to metal. I have always been meaning to get it fixed but it was one of those things that never got done and by now water has gotten behind it and it is much larger and more noticeable than before. Would my best bet be to purchase some touch-up paint from the local dealer then take a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and cut around the chipped area and repaint it? Also, would I need to also try and find some sort of clearcoat to put over it so there isn't a dull spot where I painted? I will try to get a pic with my phone so you can see what Im dealing with.

#2 ·
Here is a pic

*Edit* I hate phones lol but if you tilt your head sideways, you get the idea :rofl:

Attachments

#3 ·
Seems like nowadays everyone is going with the bed liner on the lower bodies. All in personal choice though.

#4 ·
Thats going to have to be sanded out and re sprayed. .....if you catch it now you might be able to keep the repair in the lower color. But touch up paint isnt going to cut it, that wont look good at all.

#5 ·
I agree with PortcityGT touch up isn't the way to go From the picture. It looks like you can get away with repainting the grey & replacing the factory pinstripe without geting in to the Green. Go to a paint shop & have them give you a quote. It's free.

#6 ·
OK, thanks for the input. I will check around and try to get an estimate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.