Coolant drain/refill problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant drain/refill problem

I'm in the middle of draining and refilling my truck with fresh coolant. I have drained twice and flushed with distilled water to try and clean it out. The issue I'm having is that when I refill I am only getting about 4 gallons in before its full. I believe the system capacity is about 7 gallons. I pulled the freeze plug on the drivers side but not the passenger side because of the location. If I'm only refilling with 4 gallons there is no way I will get a good 50/50 mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
!

Drain and refill your only going to get about 5 gallons tops back in. Fire it up, let it warm up and open the thermostat. Go drive it to make sure its not going to burp then check it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks! I've done that twice now and like I said I'm only getting about 4 gallons back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,564
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are getting 4 gallons out each time, I would recommend the fill and flush to be done 5 times. After the fifth time, you should only have a quart or so of the old stuff still left in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy crap, this turned into quite a project! I drained the coolant at about 9am. Poured in some cooling system cleaner along with about 4 gallons of distilled water and drove for about 30 min. On the 2nd drain I pulled the drivers side freeze plug to drain more water. I repeated this about 4 to 5 times. I was frustrated with the fact that I was only refilling with about 4 gallons of distilled water each time.

On the 3rd trip I stopped by Napa and picked up a new 4070 coolant filter.

On the 4th trip I stopped by the local "adult" store and picked up some special dice that I am going to be using in about 10 minutes.

I drained and refilled with water 5 times. On the last trip I decided that I was going to pull the freeze plug on the pass side as well so that I could get a true drain.

What a mistake! After some investigation I discovered that the only way to pull the pass plug was to remove the hot wire to the starter. So no prob I pulled that wire after disconnecting the batteries and removed the plug. Well when I removed the plug it fell. I figured what the hell, I'll just grab it later...I proceeded to pull the rad hose and drivers freeze plug.

Now I'm ready to refill, obviously I need to replace the hose and the plugs. I replace drivers side plug and rad hose. When i tried to replace the pass side plug I couldnt find it. The SOB was lost somewhere between the starter and engine block. I tried for about 2 hours to find it. I used my hand, a screwdriver, a magnet, etc... I just couldnt get it. Finally by this time it's getting dark.

I'm trying to hold a flash light, contort my body into strange positions, twist, turn, and flex and finally I had to pull the starter. I pulled the starter, and low and behold the plug was there! I put it back in and put everything back where it belonged.

A simple change of coolant turned into an full day long project. These trucks are bad ***, but sometimes I wish for the old days of my 65 mustang where everything was quick and simple. Oh well, a day spent with my stroke is a good day indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedBlackHD View Post
Holy crap, this turned into quite a project! I drained the coolant at about 9am. Poured in some cooling system cleaner along with about 4 gallons of distilled water and drove for about 30 min. On the 2nd drain I pulled the drivers side freeze plug to drain more water. I repeated this about 4 to 5 times. I was frustrated with the fact that I was only refilling with about 4 gallons of distilled water each time.

On the 3rd trip I stopped by Napa and picked up a new 4070 coolant filter.

On the 4th trip I stopped by the local "adult" store and picked up some special dice that I am going to be using in about 10 minutes.

I drained and refilled with water 5 times. On the last trip I decided that I was going to pull the freeze plug on the pass side as well so that I could get a true drain.

What a mistake! After some investigation I discovered that the only way to pull the pass plug was to remove the hot wire to the starter. So no prob I pulled that wire after disconnecting the batteries and removed the plug. Well when I removed the plug it fell. I figured what the hell, I'll just grab it later...I proceeded to pull the rad hose and drivers freeze plug.

Now I'm ready to refill, obviously I need to replace the hose and the plugs. I replace drivers side plug and rad hose. When i tried to replace the pass side plug I couldnt find it. The SOB was lost somewhere between the starter and engine block. I tried for about 2 hours to find it. I used my hand, a screwdriver, a magnet, etc... I just couldnt get it. Finally by this time it's getting dark.

I'm trying to hold a flash light, contort my body into strange positions, twist, turn, and flex and finally I had to pull the starter. I pulled the starter, and low and behold the plug was there! I put it back in and put everything back where it belonged.

A simple change of coolant turned into an full day long project. These trucks are bad ***, but sometimes I wish for the old days of my 65 mustang where everything was quick and simple. Oh well, a day spent with my stroke is a good day indeed!
I dont understand why your going to such lengths to get every drop of coolant out? It does not make any sense to me? Drain the coolant and refill it. If your not happy with that you could have paid a shop to hook it up to the coolant flush machine and been done in 20 mins. Why on earth would you start pulling freeze plugs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I dont understand why your going to such lengths to get every drop of coolant out? It does not make any sense to me? Drain the coolant and refill it. If your not happy with that you could have paid a shop to hook it up to the coolant flush machine and been done in 20 mins. Why on earth would you start pulling freeze plugs out?
When you change you engine oil do you only drain half of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NO REASON TO PULL FREEZE PLUGS , THATS IS GOING WAY TO FAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedBlackHD View Post
When you change you engine oil do you only drain half of it?
totally different , but if you want to get technical , no you dont drain all the oil out , there is still at least 3 quarts in the oil rails inside the engine , high pressure pump is still full and the valley of the engine below the oil cooler so no , you dont get it all out
doing a drain and refill on a 6.0 for one doesnt even need to be done till at least 80,000 miles , it has long life coolant with all the additives for that engine in it , unless , there is a problem, such as oil or fuel in the coolant , there is no purpose to got this far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 3,393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
-Derail- Scott I read a while back that when doing a coolant flush one of the best detergants is cascade?? When I ever get a around to flushing my system how much should I use? And how can I know for sure that it all out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors