Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Cooler replacement Anything else?

852 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  86gt5liter 
#1 ·
I've read so much on here so thank you guys for all the info. I have an extended warranty and I took the truck in and they are changing the egr cooler, I originally took it in for the oil cooler because the deltas were over 15 degrees apart but they said it was the egr cooler?? oh well. It's a reputable Ford dealership around here so whatever. Anyway I was wondering if there is anything I should foot the bill for while they are doing that? I don't think they will do any kind of delete since its warranty and I plan on moving back to Cali since i'm in the military so don't want to delete anyway. So just seeing if there are other things that they will already be messing with while doing the egr.

#3 ·
X2. A failed egr cooler is a symptom of a clogged oil cooler. Replacing the egr cooler will not have any effect on your oil temps...and the clogged oil cooler will take out your new egr cooler.
Fix the problem, not the symptom.

#4 ·
If they give you a hard time about it, tell them this:
The reason that egr coolers fail is because of a plugged oil cooler.
The coolant exiting the oil cooler is fed directly to the egr cooler. Since the clog in the oil cooler will slow the coolant flow, the egr overheats and eventually fails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.