Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stupid altyernator swap question ...well actually belt tensioner

859 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  twoicebergs 
#1 ·
So after fighting a 3 day 5th wheel hitch install fiasco...I thought well today I will do the upgraded 185 amp alternator install...quick and easy.....hahaha....should know better.

O.k...I cannot see nor can I feel the little kickstand thing that is supposed to lock the tensioner in place. I have looked and felt....just can't find it. yes I have looked at videos and pics from the forum but can't see it.

Granted with the rear shroud installed there is little room to wiggle hands under there.

is this little lock always on every tensioner? Am I missing something.

So much for an "easy job"....:)

#3 ·
I have no record of it from the previous owner.....so that is unknown. I will say it noes not look like the ones in any of the pics or videos. I can see the face of the tension arm and it has 2 square holes in the face but not the small triangle shaped knockouts.
I was thinking it may have been replaced....well that would suck and make it a little harder....then again I would not feel as stupid now not finding what may not be there.

#4 ·
Not sure if this will help, but here it is on mine.

Attachments

#5 ·
I actually had seen that pic...that was what made me think hey..I don't have that thing on mine.

Everything on this truck so far has been a bugger to do. Not complaining....more so laughing actually. It is..what is....but for once I would like to have an fairly easy job be...fairly easy

#6 ·
I hear the alternator swap is a qui... Oh wait... Maybe wiper blades? :rofl:

#7 ·
I got it done. Decided to stop obsessing about the locking kickstand. OnceI got the upper shroud off I was able to get in there with a 1/2" torque wrench as it was shallow enough to get in to the hole and clear the fan shroud.

I can see now it is an aftermarket tensioner..probably a DORKMAN.

#8 ·
FYI, you can also leverage the belt with the alternator to pull it in place. The first choice is always to use the tensioner release tool - and the lock if you have one :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.