Oil Change/Service Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderinms
Oil Change/Service Question

I change my fluid/filters as follows:

Oil/Filter every 5K miles - use RotellaT and Fram or Motorcraft Filters
Fuel Filter every 10K - Use Raycor or Motocraft filters
Tranny cooler filter every 15K
Trannt fluid and filter every 30K

I will be driving to KC Mo. on Dec 20th from Jackson, Mississippi ~ 770 miles one way. I will be there a week and put probably 200-300 miles on the Ex in city driving, then 770 miles back home. Total of ~1,800 miles total. My 10K service is due in 2,000 miles as of today. In the next 3 weeks I will put another 800-1000 miles on the oil/fuel filters. So do I:

A) Take in to my local shop on Dec 12th and change the Fuel Filters/Oil Change as usual and waste 1000 miles of oil life.
B) Take it to the Ford place on Dec 12th and pay way more than I need to for a code read and oil change/fuel filter service
C) Travel up there with no service except a fluid check and have it serviced there by someone out there you all recommend
D) Travel up there and back on current fluids/filters and have it serviced when I return.

Thoughts?

G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I say go with D. If you have it done up there you are just loseing time with it plus someone you dont know is putting his hands all over your girl.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

D- for what it's worth.

You aren't driving a playtoy, and neither are the components you listed. IF they can't protect ya for far more than those few puny miles...you are using the wrong stuff. I agree...wait till you get back and you know it's done right!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 AM

If it were me, I'd go with D as well, unless you suspect you got a bad batch of fuel or something in the last 8k that would be clogging things up.

$0.02

Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'd do "D" also - You'll find oil manufacturers will have different change intervals depending on your driving. If you are doing Highway driving, the interval may be 5000 miles vs city driving where the recommended interval is 3000 miles.

As SWGent says, you'd only be going over a little bit, if at all.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM

I say go with "A". If your already have 4K (especially since it's Rotella) on your oil it's probably sheared severly and these injectors HATE Rotella anyway. Fuel filters are hard to judge without a fuel pressure gauge, but sooner better than later as you NEVER know what kind of junk fuel you're going to get from ANY station even if you frequent it regularly. I had a set last 2K and it was from my regular truck stop station. Maintenance is cheap compared to doing anything on a 6.0 mechanically.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thunderinms
Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
I say go with "A". If your already have 4K (especially since it's Rotella) on your oil it's probably sheared severly and these injectors HATE Rotella anyway. Fuel filters are hard to judge without a fuel pressure gauge, but sooner better than later as you NEVER know what kind of junk fuel you're going to get from ANY station even if you frequent it regularly. I had a set last 2K and it was from my regular truck stop station. Maintenance is cheap compared to doing anything on a 6.0 mechanically.
What oil do you recommend?

G
Old 12-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Conventional......I use Motorcraft 15w40. Synthetic......Schaeffers, Mobil1 or Valvoline Premium Blue.

If I had the money for synthetic I'd run Schaeffers hands down. I have had excellent results with the motorcraft and I change it ever 4K because that's all my injectors allow. Any longer and they get "cranky".
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with npccpartsman. These things shear oil really quickly and there have been reported issues with the 6.0 and Rotella. I run Schaeffers 9000 5w40 full synthetic and even it is sheared to a 30w in 5K miles verified by UOA.

Food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.