Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

oil and coolant temp greater than 15 apart

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
Ok guys I got a 2003 f250 6.0, and I just got an sct livewire ts today and Ive been jumping on it some since u just got it. But sometimes the the oil and coolant go from 14 apart to about 18 the max Ive seen so far. But under 1000 miles ago I had the egr deleted and brand new oil cooler put on it. Thanks guys

#2 ·
When your truck is up to operating temp go on the highway and drive it at 55 mph and see what the spread is then. Did you use a Ford oil cooler. The " high flow" coolers from other manufacturers don't cool the oil as well

#6 ·
I think you should do the test I mentioned and see what u come up with. I would start saving to tear down your truck though and replace it.

#8 ·
With that warrenty I would push for cash so you can get a oem cooler

#9 ·
X1,

OP one thing you can try, is do a reverse flush of the coolant system and see if that helps, blow all the krap out of there, you still won't get the delta's of a OEM, but worth a shot to lower them, but the worst thing that could happen to your truck is if the welds break in oil cooler, then you have coolant in your oil, and that will cost 10x of a oem cooler and labor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Here you are!

Reactions: Stiles
#13 ·
After seeing those pictures you need to get that out of there now before you have a major failure

#15 ·
BTW the delta test is at 65MPH not 55

#20 ·
Why is dorman even a company. Stay off, if you're selling chity parts, or upgrade your parts and be comparable to OEM.
Why? Because they can produce something that resembles an oil cooler for less than 10 bucks, sell it to hundreds of thousands of people that think "ehh..an oil cooler is an oil cooler" for a hundred bucks (or more). 1000% profit is hard to deny.

People seem to think that every aftermarket part is better than OEM, at half the cost. They soon learn the lesson that with auto parts, you definitely get what you pay for.

To the OP:
If you plan on towing ANYTHING...ever...(or even putting anything in the bed of your truck) get that pile of crap out of your engine first.
Your mechanic showed that he knew the Dorman was a piece of crap (buying the Ford gasket separately shows he knows somethings up), but he doesn't care because:
(1) He likely marked up the Dorman price to close what the OEM cooler is anyway. More profit for him.
(2) The Dorman will fail sooner, requiring a future visit. More profit for him when he gets to do the same job again, sooner than he should.

#17 ·
My bad on the delta test.

#19 ·
Cross your fingers that the coolant hose from the oil cooler blew.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.