Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Engine Removal 6.0

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  phlegm 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm going to work some more on tearing down my 6.0 today and had plan to get the injectors out and shipped to WarrenDiesel.com for a once-over, and maybe even get down to removing the heads....

since I'm planning on taking the engine out anyway so i can do the bed plate seal and new seal for oil pan, is this a bad idea to remove heads while still in vehicle? I'm just cutting weight and trying to keep busy...at least this way i can get the heads off to the machine shop while I wait for a week for my helper (the smart guy), to help me (the newb), pull the block.

Thoughts? Can I still easily remove the block with the heads removed?

ALSO: whats the no kidding solution for an engine stand for the 6.0...any real world stories?

#2 ·
I seen a picture of a (fairly large) engine stand that pivoted from both sides . The two
pivot mounts came straight in at each engine mount on the block , just like it mounts in
the truck . This allowed you to change both the front and rear covers without interference
from the stand.
It was actually well thought out , but I can't remember where I saw it , maybe Diesel Power mag ?

#3 · (Edited)
ok this setup seems to be very cool. Using Two engine stands facing each other to rotate the 6.0. Youtuber named "srmastertech"; sure someone here maybe knows him...I really want to understand how to make this setup work as it seems economical and safe. Those are Harbor Freight Engine stands right?

Anyone know how to do this? Thoughts on hardware?

UPDATE: guess they are not Harbor Freight Stands but rather from Ford Rotunda (?)

I might be over analyzing this...maybe the 2000 pound Harbor freight stand is fine. I read some where that if you're paranoid like me (I'm the guy wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time), you can mount a T-Bar support under the engine as well....and even support the hanging end with the hoist.

Attachments

#4 ·
Ok, got it out...I bought the harbor freight 2,000 pound stand...Can someone tell me if the positioning i have for the mounts looks correct? Posting a pic of the turbo pedestal mount engine lifting plate...worked like a champ. Want to thank Diesel Dan for being a champ and letting me rent it.

Toolroom Auto part Vehicle Workshop Machine

Auto part Engine Aircraft engine

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car

#5 ·
Sweet man! Glad you got it out and my plate helped. I would pull my engine out again in a heartbeat if I had to do it again. It was a lot easier then I thought.

Reactions: roadie821
#7 ·
here's the bolt mounts I'm using...I bolted to rear of engine, and then lifted stand to the plate...put the pin in and then lowered. It took a bit of maneuvering with my foot to put it out of the way as I was lowering, but its on the stand now. I know no washers, and the bolts are backwards, but i didn't put all together correctly at the time of this pic...was just experimenting...everything is in place correctly now.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.