Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Has anyone seen an Oil Cap do this before?

3K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  lenzhotrod 
#1 ·
So, here is the original oil cap vs. the new one. Waht would have caused this? The old one looks like it was etched.

See less See more
#5 ·
looks chewed to me also.

#11 ·
I don't know what causes it, maybe age, heat, or oil. Mine was doing the same thing, then I made a billet cap, problem solved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Stiles
#12 ·
Ive seen a bunch in the junk yards that do that.

^damn machinist. ....they'll spend 8 hours building a 11 cent bolt. Lol

#13 ·
Damn body men gotta have the nicest looking vehicles!!

Reactions: NYC F-350
#15 ·
That usually happens to oil filler caps if they have been placed on top of the battery and contaminated with battery acid. Can happen with the semi-sealed OE batteries or more so with the conventional top batteries.__________________
copied from above link

Reactions: Stiles
#18 ·
Good to know. My Dads cap on this 7.3 and 6.0 both look like this yet mine looks fine. I was actually just wondering what causes that about a month ago.

#20 ·
So.... To summarize: Gremlins, rodents, heat, battery acid, Dodge envy?
I rather think poor plastic composition, but who knows?

#22 ·
I changed the oil myself for the first time yesterday (usually just take it in to the Ford dealer quick lane for them to do it) and noticed my cap was starting to look like the OP's (but not quite as bad). And sure as ****, not even thinking about it I laid the cap on the battery but moved it a few minutes later to my tool box. I'm definitely going to be more aware of this from now on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.