Parts for full egr delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Parts for full egr delete

What parts are needed for the DIY full egr delete kit... I read the write up under the tech files but just want a specific list of what i gonna need to tackle this project

I see a hose that is needed, but what about gaskets, o-rings, clamps etc...

I gonna try to tackle this on my christmas break from college and just want to be prepared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM

Bump.....

Another question.... After doing the DIY egr delete... Should the up pipe be welded shut??? Any more helpful information on this would be great

Thanks Jeff
Old 12-02-2008, 05:48 PM

Bump to the top
Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM

Anybody have any advice???

I would be grateful

Thanks jeff
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jeff, there are a few ways to accomplish the DIY EGR delete. I assume you are meaning to completely delete the cooler and not just block it off. Some guys will reuse the old EGR cooler and just weld a plate over the EGR cooler to up-pipe flange, and weld a plate over the cooler to intake flange. This effectively seals off the intake side from the exhaust side and allows the coolant to continue to flow through the cooler in its original path. Other guys will cut up the old cooler and use the parts to make the bypass tube out of (as in the tech file section thread you referenced)or also the crackpipe mod. If you go this route, at a minimum you will need a 180* hose and clamps to redirect the coolant from the oil cooler back into the intake manifold coolant port. Pretty much all of the other gaskets needed in this delete are reusable. You can install new intake manifold gaskets if you so choose, and I installed new turbo oil drain tube o-rings when I did mine. All of the exhaust side flange clamps and such are also reusable, no worries there. For the 180* hose I went to an industrial hardware supply and obtained a hydraulic braided stainless hose and some 3/4" heater hose to make the connection. Lastly since I still had my original 75,000 mi. serpentine belt on I installed a belt at this time since so much of the motor was apart, it made it a fairly easy time to do it. Hope this helps you out some.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

jeff, here is a little bit of a write-up that i did when i did mine. there is some fab work to be done and aluminum welding. of course you dont have to do it that way i did but it is another option. it worked out really well for me and i have not been too easy on it.
clarence

no pussyfooting around here on headstud job
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Hey huhner, I've modifying EGR coolers and up pipes for awhile. Since I have done mine, I've had zero problems. I just reuse and modify the person's EGR cooler and up pipe. Then you'll never have to worry about it. I use a TIG welder and stainless material. Plus I have lower EGT, better MPG, and the coolant is cooler.

This way if the smog police ever wanted to examine your egr equipment. It's still there. I read that even just blocking the up pipe, the smog test will read lower emissions than the one that has a working egr system. That EGR system is a waste of money................

I don't like using hoses. Where the bend is at 180 degrees, the coolant, over time, will wear out the walls. Then you'll have to replace the hose again.

Just by blocking the up pipe, you will stop the flow of exhaust gases. However, if the cooler ever started to leak, it can still enter the engine intake.

It only takes me about 2.5 hours to complete. Where's MN? I'm in Washington State.

Also, I'm a Union Steamfitter/Pipe Welder, I work with high pressure/heat steam systems. Like oil companies, hospitals, and other industrial construction.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM

MN=Minnesota.... I think i can tackle this myself... I have an aluminum welder and all the necessary tools and time to do this.. So im gonna give it a shot
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 PM

I thought so......Minnesota.

Well hey, good with the project!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 AM

Get an intake gasket kit. That should have most everything you need, sans an o-ring or two.

I just did this last weekend. This is what I did to my cooler..

And here's the hose...

I guess if the hose starts to leak around the bend, as previously mentioned, then I'll have to come up with something better. But I just couldn't turn this hose down since it had the perfect bend formed into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.