Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

The ball joint thread!

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  elchaseo 
#1 ·
Well about time to do ball joints on my 06. Been Googling the crap out of what's holding up but have been pulling up old threads and nothing too recent. What I'd like to know is that who is running XRF and Moog problem solvers and how they are holding up. Also looking to buy a quality tool if possible, think it would be great to have on had, checked with my Matco guy and he wanted almost $400 for a kit with the 4wd adaptor, don't think so. But really don't want anything cheap like harbor freight either. Found some OTC kits on eBay and Amazon around the $100-$150 range but don't know what to look for.

#2 ·
Ive got the Moogs, put them on last year. they have about 15k on them and no issues yet. Every oil change while I'm on the creeper under the truck I give them a shot of grease if they need it. Definitly find the right ball joint press. I rented the one for the Dana 44 alxe from autozone and had to stack all kinds of chit together to make it work. It got the job done but having the right press along with the right snap ring pliers will prevent alot of swearing lol

#3 ·
The MOOGs I had failed after 6 months or so...

And I just saw that my MOOG tie rod ends have now failed as well...

They were all replaced at the same time. :(

So I'd say stay away from MOOG.

Also, the Harbor Freight kit works great, just get that.

Good Luck!

#4 ·
I have heard nothing but good things about moog parts. Repalce all my steering parts back in October with moog and are holding up great with 35s. got about 10000 miles on them so far. Can not attest to moog balljoints. Haven't replaced mine yet and not sure what the PO used. Probably will go with moog when I replace mine.

#6 ·
I went with the XRF balljoints about three years back. The passenger side upper failed in less than one year. Replaced them all again with Moog problem solvers. No problems since.
Wish I had the cash at that time to go with the Dynatracs. Next time maybe.

#7 ·
Yes I heard ups and downs about Moog. I heard the problem solver series was pretty good. Just don't know a lot about the XRF stuff, besides good things in old threads. Good to here some feedback from some people who have ran them for a few years. A bud of mine a couple of months ago bought that Harbor Freight tool and changed out all of his with I think Raybestos joints. A couple of months later he had a shop redo them with XRF stuff, I have never replaced ball joints myself, but I am assuming that they can be installed incorrectly. Might take a stab at that HF tool, but my luck with their tools is no bueno, found a couple of used OTC kits on EBay, what is required just the 4wd adaptor?

#9 ·
The shop I take my company vehicles only charges 150-200 in labor to change out all 4. Probably just going to take it to them to have mine done. I figure I'll spend that much just buying a good quality ball joint tool.

#10 ·
$150-$200 labor for a 4WD? That's a pretty decent price, if they'll do it for that. I changed my drivers' side out a couple of months ago and it took a about 3 hours. It was the first time I'd screwed with them so there was a bit of a learning curve, but I can't see a shop doing all four joints on a 4WD in much less than 4 hours.

Merc82, if you buy a press, make sure it's a big one. The standard sets for passenger cars won't cut it. I used the Moog joints So far, so good, but it's a little early to tell yet.

#11 ·
Yep! We take all our company vehicles there so they treat us nice. The shop down the road wanted to charge $1800 to replace ball joints on a 2wd. That was parts included but they definitely where not going to use moog or any other quality part. Needs to say, we don't go there any more.

#12 ·
Just did all mine with the XRF and they ride great! I put them in after a few local guys swear by them!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
Getting ready to replace my ball joints this Sunday. I've had Moog in driver side for 7yrs and pass side for 5yrs. I have no complaints with the Moog, I grease them every other oil change.

Dale is coming over to help, we should have both sides done in 3hrs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: JUGERNAUT
#18 ·
I don't feel so bad about how long it took me to do one side by myself now. LOL

#16 ·
HA!! Too bad you really don't know what your getting. I use to work at the Dana plant in Pottstown, just down the street is Neapco. They use to source out work to each other, then each company would package the product as if it were there own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: JUGERNAUT
#21 ·
Another vote for MOOG problem solvers or factory. Stocks ones made it 90k, carquest ones barley made 40k and have 40k on the moogs still holding up.

#22 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Anybody got part numbers on those Moog problem solvers?

#23 ·
$150-200 is definitely a good price for 4 of em. I'm gonna keep tally of all the ball joints I change over the years in my trucks. Don't know what's been going into my trucks, but they have grease fittings and have been holding up, serviced every oil change. Maybe one of the OEM brands mentioned earlier. I have moogs on my 6 speed, they do well bouncing around the farm 7 days a week, then pull a 10,000 lb load down the mountain. You learn early on what a bad ball joint will do to a good tire. I'll call around and learn what NAPA and the other stores carry. The '01 auto I'm driving now has some issue in the front end, but the rotors may be the bulk of it. Only when braking do I feel like thing are sloppy.

Are they available at the brick and mortar stores, moog or the other brands mentioned?

#24 ·
After spending way too much time on researching ball joints here's my two bits.

The cost of Moog ball joints on Moog-Suspension-Parts.com - A Dealer of the Federal Mogul Brand of Suspension Parts is slightly less than half than the Dynatracs at ~$250. Amazon or Rock Auto is much cheaper. The reputation and apparent quality of Moog has gone downhill in recent years.

NAPA ball joints are apparently made by Spicer (DANA). The only difference between NAPA and Spicer may be just that the Napa is greaseable. It would be interesting to know if it is made for NAPA to higher spec. As an OEM replacement the the NAPA ball joints are highly regarded by the off-road Baja racing crowd. They are made in Taiwan.

XRF gets rave reviews on the Dodge truck forums but are made in Taiwan. However, you can pick up the set for $125 from The Tire Club ... _KITS.html

The results on XRF are mixed and are really not a premium ball joint like Dynatrac.

These were the NAPA part numbers and prices for my application which is the same for an F series truck.
2601395 lower $72.99 ea.
2601248 upper $47.77 ea.

Spicers are a bit cheaper at ~$65 per side.

I ended up going overkill and getting the Dynatracs. USA designed and manufactured and they will probably outlive the life of my van. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with the NAPA joints over the spicers and avoided Moog altogether.

#25 ·
Great post, thanks!

#26 ·
Yo Merc- check out post #25 for part numbers on my old thread.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ling-ball-joints-tie-rods-what-else-time.html

Ive got 23k on my Moogs now, no issues. Spinning 35's since then, lots of mix city/hwy driving. No offroading, and lots of towing. I hit the grease fittings once every oil change (using Yamalube Molybendum Disulfide grease, same stuff for driveshafts on lower units).

Reactions: Merc82
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.