Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

turbo help

926 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jmeaby 
#1 ·
I'm new to the site, and need some help . I have a 06 fx4 and the turbo needs to be rebuilt or replaced . It still has the egr and original head bolts. It has banks 6 gun, 4 in exhaust, no cat cold air intake, 6 in lift with 37 in tires . I run it with the egr unplugged and on level 6 of the programmer. I set it up like this at 35,000 mi and it has 100,000 now and has never had a problem until now with the turbo. The truck is mostly used for towing . I want the turbo to spool up at lower rpm. I was looking at a powermax turbo but from what I have read it spools at higher rpm not good down low. My other option is to rebuild the old one and use a billet Wheel that is suppose to spool up faster at lower rpm. What would be the best way to go?

#2 ·
The powermax is a good turbo but not sure how well it will do with the banks programmer will do. Sct however can make that turbo be great. If you are staying with the banks I would talk to a turbo builder to see what they say.

#4 ·
Im fairly certain that if you go with anything after market it will require a SCT Tuner with a custom tune. But someone far more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.

#5 ·
I just purchased a stock garret turbo for my '04 6.0L. Got what I feel is a good deal at $877.00 brand new. I have just begun using the SCT Livewire LS and even though my original turbo was faulty, I seen such a drastic improvement, I opted to just buy another stock turbo for my truck. Don't have any experience with modified turbos, but seems to be the thing to do around here if you really want BIG power.

-Rodger

#6 ·
Thanks for help guys, I'm going to call banks and see what they say. But I'm leaning toward the powermax and sct livew Ire to get the trans tune. I bought the banks because it was the safest tuner I could get at the time but now it's a little outdated. If I go with the powermax sct do you think it will spool up at lower rpm? I'm thinking that if I change my shift points that will help to. The tire size has caused most of the problem i went with them because every time I got off a hard surface it got stuck, now it just digs nice deep ditches.

#7 ·
The tuners that are well known for tuning the 6.0 can make that bigger turbo spool better then stock. Tony, idp, gearhead, are 3 that come right to mind. There are more that are very good too. Search the forum there are plenty of reviews for different tuners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.