Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is this what I think it is? (picture)

3K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
I took my truck apart to install the updated stc fitting. I checked Oasis but it didn't show that it had been done already. When I got the cover off I found this. It looks to me like the fitting was already done. Have I done all this work for nothing? I don't want to take the pump out if it has already been done, so ill be waiting on your opinions.

Auto part Engine

See less See more
#3 ·
:nutkick: <<<This is how I feel right now, lol....... Guess I better put it back together. Anything I should do while I'm in here?

#5 ·
Yep, that's the new fitting. Maybe you can send it back to Ford and get your money back for it.

#7 ·
I feel your pain, lol. A buddy of mine suggested doing egr delete while I'm in there. I might give that some thought. Turbo cleaning is on the list.

#9 ·
I only have a few days, and only a few hours each day to do the work, injectors are probably a bit too much for that. Any recommendations on egr delete kits? I saw some on eBay that come with a tuner for a reasonable price, not sure though.

#11 ·
#12 ·
It seems there is a lot of debate on here about doing a delete (pros / cons). I gather I will have to tune the truck if I do it, am I correct in assuming this? I know nothing about tuning. I have also read that "canned / generic" tunes do not address the tranny properly along with other issues. Where would I start looking for a tune to address the vehicle properly? I am NOT studded and I tow a camper frequently. Should I still consider the EGR delete? This simple upgrade turned into me questioning my sanity over egr delete choices, lol. Any advice is appreciated. Also, does the intake have to come out completely to do egr removal / delete?

#13 ·
These things tend to spiral out of control and before you know it you NEED $5,000.

The canned tunes from SCT actually aren't terrible. But a "custom" tune can't be beat for these trucks. No matter what you do with your truck an EGR delete is a good idea. Deleting the valve can interfere with fan operation getting up to correct speeds. But there are ways around that. If you do a delete you will get a code and an SCT tuner will clear it. If you have emissions testing where you are and can't delete the EGR then the Bulletproof Diesel EGR can't be beat.

Reactions: mikeb01453
#25 ·
i have the bulletproof egr cooler, no complaints what so ever. I live in mass so i have emissions, plus i like leaving the valve in place for visual check, not to mention if i ever trade the truck in i can return it to stock. But yes, deleting the egr will require a tune, however it is a simple process, you give the tuner the strategy of the truck, the model and serial number from the tuner, tell them what kind of tune and they can typically have it emailed to you in a day or two. Very easy process.

#14 ·
We do have emissions testing here. Will the SCT tuner combined with a delete not fix that issue?

#15 ·
Well if they do a visual check for emissions equipment they'll more than likely see that it's been deleted. For your case I'd invest in the BPD option to avoid the rupture possibility and get a tuner. With a tuner you can **** off the EGR valve, coolant will still flow through it but a majority of the time exhaust gasses will not.

#16 ·
No visual inspection is performed, only obd2 readings. I dont really have the coin for a bpd cooler and tuner right now. So it's either delete or leave it alone.

#17 ·
with regard to the BPD cooler, wouldn't it make sense to have a tune written to disable the egr valve on the current functioning egr cooler and run it that way rather than replace it, since there's nothing wrong with the one on there?

#18 ·
You can turn it off and leave the functioning one in then just clean it and turn it on for the test. I turned mine off until I get the time to put in my delete. I bought the SCT SF3 off Amazon for $300.

#19 ·
so the tune will need to be set back to stock for the readiness monitors? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to evaluate my options here.

#20 ·
I'm not really sure. It certainly can't hurt to go back to stock especially if their parameters are stringent. No worries on the questions, keep them coming, if you have them somebody else reading along probably does too.

#21 ·
Thought I read here not that long ago that, unless you have a tune (other than canned tune), you may shut off the egr valve function through the SCT tuner, but in all actuality the tuner alone is incapable of doing it (though it will appear that it is off thru the tuner).

#22 ·
I just loaded a different canned tune before getting my custom ones and on mine, an SF3 3015, I have the option to turn off the EGR valve. It's in the options menu when you select strategy tunes.

#23 ·
What I meant was that while it appears that the tuner (using the canned tunes) is capable of shutting off the EGR valve function, in actuality it is not.
If you have a scangauge2 (or an edge product) you can monitor EGR valve function to confirm.

#26 ·
I have an edge cs, is this just a PID that i can choose to monitor? i dont recall seeing one.

#27 ·
I have an old insight that is capable of monitoring the egr valve position. Because of that I figured that all edge products would be capable. So much for a-s-s-uming.
I am originally from Mass. Left about 5 years ago. I didn't know they did the sniffer test for diesels. Have they always?

#28 ·
I dont think they always have, my 03 didnt get it, but my 05 is a DRW with commercial plates so i do get the sniffer test. I envy you for leaving this state, it sucks here lol.

#30 ·
Lol that sucks, sorry to hear, didnt think there were many places as bad or worse then Mass...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.