Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dorman transmission cooler

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Qholic 
#1 ·
Is the dorman transmission cooler good product to use? Does anyone know where to get the best price on a tranny cooler if dorman isnt a good one? Checked on tousely ford but they still want $284.

#2 ·
If I can ask, why are you looking for a transmission cooler? The stock one is incredibly efficient and does a tremendous job. Hauling as hard as I do, my temps on the trans are always below 190 and in fact run closer to 170-180 when hauling.

#3 ·
After doing head gaskets its been leaking. Thought it was hose, changed hose and its still leaking. Wednesday im going back to take hoses and possibly cooler out. My bet is that the inlet (or outlet, not sure of flow direction ) is cracked. I have put 2 hose clamps also, didnt make a difference. Just trying to find best deal in case it does need replaced. I did check above the hose on cooler itself to see if they punctured it and it was dripping down, its not.

#5 ·
Ive been calling salvage yards just to get other parts and if the truck doesnt get bought right away they get picked over in a day! These trucks get picked over like candy out of a pinata at a mexican kids birthday party!

#9 ·
PM me the price and size please

#8 ·
I didnt know that. Whats sizes are there and how do i know what size i have without taking it out?

#10 ·
One is a 26 row and the other is a 31 row. The larger basically goes from the bottom of the radiator to the top.

sent from my Samsung S4

#11 ·
Ok, would they both fit? Does 5 more rows matter in the way of cooling?

#12 ·
I do not know about the mounting of the shorter one (probably just drill a couple of holes) as far as cooling Ford thought that there was a reason to do it....take it for what it's worth. I would think that the biggest thing would be how much do you tow/haul. I personally would want the bigger cooler--better to have more than not enough. On a side note; I just last week had the same problem, I changed the hose (passenger side) and replaced the hose clamps and all is well now. Ford wants 33 bucks for the hose I went to the auto parts store and for 5 bucks got 18" of hydraulic hose and slapped it on. The only PIA was having to take the bumper off and then realigning it by myself:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.